Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Stone Chips and similar - SMART in Scotland ?

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2006, 12:13 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Stone Chips and similar - SMART in Scotland ?

Well this is vaguely on topic as it's about restoring the car to it's shiny new self. And we don't have a 'repair' forum, so thought I'd try here.

I've picked up a couple of small bonnet dents and a few rear bumper scrapes over the last few months, so considering getting someone round to touch up the defects and keep everything tip-top, esp. seeing as I've takern the time for the first time in 10 years to actually keep this one clean.

Anyone know of any SMART type repairers in Scotland, preferably Edinburgh area ?
i've tried one so far, but they talked about respraying whole panels - I'm looking for one of these mobile, fix just the defect type repairers, but difficult to find up here.

Cheers Martin.
Old 31 October 2006, 05:04 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Martin, I've yet to come across any decent SMART repairers in Scotland - a lot of the work I've seen has been pish, to the extent that I could do better myself by filling and wetsanding. If you want a very reasonable price for a full bonnet respray (the best option by miles) give Richard a call at Altered Image in Bonnybrigg - I get all my work done there and they are a great company that do great work for very reasonable prices.
Old 02 November 2006, 08:53 PM
thebluedragon
Scooby Newbie

Smile

martin, i have my own valeting business so i come across this sort of query quite a lot from customers. it really depends on the extent of the damage, but you could try someone like chips away, dentmaster or dr vinyl, all of whom provide a mobile service.
hope this is useful.
cheers, Iain.
Old 04 November 2006, 12:51 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay away form chipsaway in the Gorbals (Glasgow) the guy is a complete kno8! Took my last Impreza there, spoke to him for 15 mins about 2 small stone chips and a scratch, and he shrugged his shoulders for 10 mins and generally seemed disinterested. Not the kind of guy you want working on your car!
Old 06 November 2006, 06:57 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies - it's not really sounding that promising then :-(
Reckon i'll just live with a few scratches then - was just if the SMART or similar system really worked might well have got them touched up.
I did try one of those listed ones and for a couple of unloading scratches on the rear bumper he suggested respraying - which is well OTT, cos I don't care THAT much about scratches, cos they'll only happen again anyway.
Maybe Ill get a paint stick from Subaru