Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Local Hand Car Wash Spray on Soap, How?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2006, 05:24 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Local Hand Car Wash Spray on Soap, How?

I went to the local hand car wash today and after they rinsed my car off they then used another pressurer washer to spray on the soap ready for the sponge down,

I was thinking that was a great idea, it saves loads of time as your not constantly dipping your sponge in a soapy bucket and strungling to get a good foam going,

I dont have a jet wash and dont really want one but i like the idea of spraying the shampoo on, can you do it using one of them things that go on your back, the things that have a handle that you pump to build up the pressure in the bottle so you can then spray with it, similar to the ones that fumegators use when spraying plants, weeds and things

Also what shampoo do they use, do you need a special type or would i be able to use normal autoglym???

Anyone ideas??

Dave M
Old 28 November 2006, 06:15 PM
BryD
Scooby Newbie

They were probably using TFR through a karcher steam cleaner, great for degreasing trucks, but will strip and wax / sealant and can stain paint & alloys
Old 29 November 2006, 02:57 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Sounds like a foam gun unit, I have one for my Karcher pressure washer, but you can also get them for fitting onto normal hoses using standard hozelock attachments. Here's a link to a particularly good one that we use...

Gilmour Foam Gun

Old 29 November 2006, 05:29 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

or if your a tight **** like me this does a good enough job http://www.superspray.co.uk

see my pic here https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...-foam-gun.html

wouldnt mind the cilmour mind
Old 29 November 2006, 07:40 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

you can get proper valves that fit on commercial pressure washers and allow you to drip feed foam and cleaning agents into the high pressure stream.

some of the full on commercial washers look nothing like your regular halfords jobbie
mine looks a little like this

but runs on 3 phase 480volts IIRC
its also a lot higher in spec

might take a picture of my "pump room" tomorrow, its like spaghetti junction LOL
something like the glimour foam gun would be best for home use, the above system is not worth the hassle for the odd wash at home

Last edited by StickyMicky; 29 November 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 29 November 2006, 07:45 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

and yes they probably used TFR

had a few cars in for restoration after the paintwork has been damaged with strong TFR
Old 29 November 2006, 08:08 PM
scoobyverysoon

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
and yes they probably used TFR

had a few cars in for restoration after the paintwork has been damaged with strong TFR
I know what you mean about strong TFR - our stuff at work melts stuff - a guy at work wrecked his red paint - it all went pink and the lacquer started to fail - its great for under the arches
Old 29 November 2006, 09:02 PM
Dave M UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice guys, after doing a bit of reseach i am going to go for a gilmour foam gun as i think this will be a great bit of kit for washing the subaru once a week at home,

What is TFR? is that the stuff they spray on your wheels and sills??, im sure the foam they used to wash my car was just car shampoo, but i am a little worryed about the stuff they spray on your sills, i always felt that it was a bit hash and thats why they only use it on the sills cos thats where the dirt builds up,

So gilmour foam gun it is then, but whats TFR

Dave M
Old 29 November 2006, 10:26 PM
OzzyWRX
Scooby Regular

You could use a pump sprayer that can be had from any hardware or gardening shop for a couple of quid. Won't produce any foam, but will allow you to pre-soak your car with detergent.
Old 29 November 2006, 11:57 PM
scoobyverysoon

TFR is Traffic film remover - when diluted right its good stuff - it strips all the crap off your car inc wax - carwash places some times have a separate pump sprayer which they use for the wheels cills etc as this is a lot harsher mix - end of the day most people are happy with £2.50 car wash - its just us lot who wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.
Old 30 November 2006, 07:57 AM
BryD
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
TFR is Traffic film remover - when diluted right its good stuff - it strips all the crap off your car inc wax - carwash places some times have a separate pump sprayer which they use for the wheels cills etc as this is a lot harsher mix - end of the day most people are happy with £2.50 car wash - its just us lot who wouldnt touch them with a barge pole.

Not all TFR's are the same, some of the cheaper ones, i.e. the ones used at your local hand £5 car wash, use very harsh chemicals. Which will strip any wax/sealant, also because of the harshness they can stain & tarnish alloys, one for the STI boys to be very weary of. Also and plastic trim fade from its use.

Best advice, save the £5 and do it yourself at home!
Old 30 November 2006, 10:34 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If you stay on top of your cleaning routine there should be no need for any aggressive products like TFR's at all. The most aggressive product my Leon sees is P21S Total Auto Wash in the arches from time to time, and that is a 100% safe product, even for exterior paint, trims, and exposed metals.