Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Porter Cable 7424 advice

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2007, 09:05 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porter Cable 7424 advice

hi all finally took the plunge and ordered a Porter Cable 7424 and its on its way as we speak (thanks PB for the advice ) thinking of getting a few scrape car parts to get practise on is this a good idea or am I safe just to start on the car (well my sisters )

Any tips for using it, can it be used on edges and other odd areas around the car or is it just for the large flat panels???

just about to order some new products from PB and have a few questions, firstly which clay would you all recommend I have been using the Meguiars Quik Clay but I think I will try other one, any recommendation ???

I have just ordered a Autobrite lance what shampoo would you all recommend I am currently using Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds which is great but we have 4 cars so it does cost alot. I see that you have some new Meguiars shampoo is it any good which one would you recommended and when do you think you will have it back in stock??

Since I had a recent brake upgrade I have struggled to keep my oz gold wheels clean and some black dots have occurred what would you recommend me to use. I have had them off the car and really worked hard on them but with no real joy, would Poorboy's Spray & Rinse be safe on gold wheels????

lastly I notice that you now have finishing papers on your site, I read that these are ideal for repairing stone chips (build up the layer and then sand it down to one layer) do you have any plans to do a guide on this for your site, I seem to have built up a large amount of stone chips on my rear doors???? is that the best way of making them look better?

Big thanks guys this site has changed me into a car cleaning freak since last year, so thanks for all the help you have gave me
Old 08 January 2007, 09:29 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Hi mate look at this site, it will answer your questions and a whole lot more besides

Detailing World - A world for detailers by detailers.
Old 08 January 2007, 03:34 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

hi all finally took the plunge and ordered a Porter Cable 7424 and its on its way as we speak (thanks PB for the advice ) thinking of getting a few scrape car parts to get practise on is this a good idea or am I safe just to start on the car (well my sisters )

I would say jump right in - the Porter Cable is a fairly easy tool to use and master, and not very aggressive unless you wade in with an aggressive product and pad combo. Start with a finishing polish on a polishing pad and you'll be fine - also helps to do a couple of flatter, easier panels first, to get a feel for the machine, so start on the bonnet/boot lid.

Any tips for using it, can it be used on edges and other odd areas around the car or is it just for the large flat panels???

It can be used on everything, and ran over edges and bumps safely - clearly you don't want to be applying heavy pressure when you transition over curves and edges, but there is no significant amount of heat or friction generated by the PC, so you'll be safe. In fact the only real danger is contacting the backing plate with the bodywork when using the PC at awkward angles in conjunction with 6" and 6.5" pads - for this reason I only use 7.5" pads, as the backing plate sits into the pad, meaning it's impossible for such an error to occur.

just about to order some new products from PB and have a few questions, firstly which clay would you all recommend I have been using the Meguiars Quik Clay but I think I will try other one, any recommendation ???

Meguiars Detailing Clay Mild is another good bet, and good value, as it's a hefty bugger and comes in it's own storage pot.

I have just ordered a Autobrite lance what shampoo would you all recommend I am currently using Poorboy's Super Slick & Suds which is great but we have 4 cars so it does cost alot. I see that you have some new Meguiars shampoo is it any good which one would you recommended and when do you think you will have it back in stock??

Slick n Suds is now available in gallons, making it much better value. If the lance is a foam lance then Meguiars Hyper Wash is good, as the dilution rate is a wacky 400:1, but it still works great, and a gallon lasts ages. The Megs Shampoo Plus is also nice to use, and good value comapred to the Slick n Suds gallon (half the price, 80% of the performance in my opinion).

Since I had a recent brake upgrade I have struggled to keep my oz gold wheels clean and some black dots have occurred what would you recommend me to use. I have had them off the car and really worked hard on them but with no real joy, would Poorboy's Spray & Rinse be safe on gold wheels????

Yes, just use the once to get them clean then concentrate on better or more frequent wheel protection - the wheel care kits in the wheel section of the store show you the products I swear by, cleaning with Menzerna Gel 7.5 and a wheel spoke brush weekly may help if normal suds are failing to shift the whole lot (this can be an issue with aftermarket brake packages).

lastly I notice that you now have finishing papers on your site, I read that these are ideal for repairing stone chips (build up the layer and then sand it down to one layer) do you have any plans to do a guide on this for your site, I seem to have built up a large amount of stone chips on my rear doors???? is that the best way of making them look better?

Yes, a guide is planned, but it is months away - I'm currently working on the detailing section (massive changes coming soon), plus animated adverts for our detailing service, and we've got detailing work coming out of our ears too. In the meantime there is an awesome guide to wetsanding and stone chip repair on Detailing World - A world for detailers by detailers. in the guides section. Wetsanding is a good technique for randon, large chips, but for peppered panels repsraying gives a beter result, although clearly costs more.

Big thanks guys this site has changed me into a car cleaning freak since last year, so thanks for all the help you have gave me

Our pleasure!
Old 08 January 2007, 04:06 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Thanks PB, order sent
Old 08 January 2007, 04:27 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Many thanks, that will keep me busy this evening!
Old 08 January 2007, 04:52 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

that will keep me busy for the next two weeks off work