Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MacBook has died.

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2014, 01:15 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MacBook has died.

I was carrying my MacBook when I got caught in some rain. It didn't seem to get all that wet, but I should have let it dry first before I turned it on. The result, I turned it on, it started to boot up and after about one second it died. I've had the back off and it drying for over a day now and it's still dead.

Any quick way to fix it?

It's over four years old now and seriously battered. If I got a new MacBook would the stuff on the HD be retrievable? There isn't much on there of real importance...I keep backed up external HD's for that...but I've got some stuff written on the post it app which will be a PITA to get elsewhere.
Old 09 August 2014, 02:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you sync your notes with iCloud? Anyhow, there's a pretty high chance your data will be OK, best bet would be to whip out the drive and stick it in an enclosure. Repair could be logic board which on my 2010 model was £500 or £600, so not insignificant.
Old 09 August 2014, 02:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Did you sync your notes with iCloud? Anyhow, there's a pretty high chance your data will be OK, best bet would be to whip out the drive and stick it in an enclosure. Repair could be logic board which on my 2010 model was £500 or £600, so not insignificant.
Yeh I think it's synced, but the stuff I need is on the - I'm not sure what it's called - the 'front page/screen' which has clock, various widgets, etc. you can put a post it note there and I keep all my usernames and numbers for online stuff.
Old 10 August 2014, 10:50 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Ah! You're the person that uses widgets. You'll be happy to know they're still in Yo!
Old 10 August 2014, 01:48 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Ah! You're the person that uses widgets. You'll be happy to know they're still in Yo!
Yeah the 'dashboard' is what it's called and it doesn't sync over icloud unfortunately. I got a new 11" MacBook Air BTW. I'd be interested in finding out if the stuff I wrote on the post it widgit is recoverable?