Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Help on teaching someone how to use a PC

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2002, 09:01 PM
Scooby Snax
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the subject suggests really. Neighbour has just got his first pc and he is about 80! Does anyone know of any sites that are good for teaching the basics of using a computer. If i had something i could print out and leave with him then i would not have to teach him as much.
Cheers
Old 08 July 2002, 09:31 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

depends what he wants to learn doesnt! navigating the OS??

get a dummies book perhaps?

Si
Old 08 July 2002, 10:45 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Scooby Snax,

One think I have to say is be very very very patient. Things even as simple as navigating a mouse is very easy to you but your neighbour may struggle. All I can say is be prepared for a long drawn out affair. It may take a while

About 5 years ago I had a very basic (Beginners RSA Clait) computer course to prove that I can use a computer, before I was allowed to start the course I wanted. The course was a breeze (as I knew everything already) but I think I still have the print outs and the course criteria lying around somewhere. I have a look and drop you a line.

Other than that, contact your local council and tell them that your neighbour is interested in sitting a basic course to learn computers. They will put you in touch with a local training company who may be able to provide this information.

I don't think I have the print outs but if I do you are welcome to them. I’ll let you know

Darren
Old 08 July 2002, 11:16 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

If I remember correctly, there is a useful little windows tutorial app that came with 98 SE (not sure about later versions). Covers things such as mouse, windows (max and min etc), keyboard, shutdown etc. Starts off at a very basic level.
Just checked. There is an application called 'discover' in the \win98\tour\ directory on the 98SE CD. Suggest you copy this to the hard drive, then create a shortcut on the desktop, for ease of access.
Old 09 July 2002, 07:04 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

with Office XP you get a 3rd disc, Interactive trainer, ive never used it but that could be useful

Si