Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Conent Management Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2002, 02:01 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey folks,

As part of my job here I look after and maintain the local Internet, managers are now asking if they can add content without goin thru me as I am too busy...... Is there a solution to this without impleamenting expensive content managment solutions, are there any free programmes that will do this, or can I use ASP and mySQL dbase system....

Any ideas would be great.....

thanks

Old 09 July 2002, 02:16 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Hi Bing

ASP would be your easiest solution - you offer them a secure login page to enter there content. This is held in the db and served on your intranet. Easy enough to implement if you know ASP.

DW
Old 09 July 2002, 02:43 PM
bing-bonger
Scooby Regular

DW

Thats the idea I had, but then got stuck when users wanted to add 'word, excel style' tables or images within their content.......

any others
Old 09 July 2002, 02:59 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Content Management Systems only deal with content management, they don't (and shouldn't) assist in the content itself. Before you go off writing your own CMS have a look around because there are a few really good and far superior CMS products out there for free, like Bricolage.

Steve.
Old 09 July 2002, 08:57 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Zope is another one that pops up, along with OpenACS. You could always take a look at http://www.cmswatch.com/.

IMHO, don't fall into the trap of thinking that it's just a case of installing some software and off you go, the biggest challenges are the business processes. For example, what happens if they start uploading duff files? Whose responsibility is it to check and then correct any problems? You can't automate non-existant business processes, they need to be planned out before the software installation begins.