Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Canon Digital Ixus and video capture

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2002, 03:21 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, can't do that unfortunately.

I always wonder about CF cards, and how they work out how many pictures/seconds of movie you have left. Surely it can't tell, because compression happens afterwards, and it can't tell the future and pre-determine what kind of image you'll be taking pictures of (so, lots of blue sky will be compressed at a higher ratio than say, a picture of a car). Unless of course all data is stored in an internal raw format so that every picture/frame of movie takes the same amount of storage space. I'm going on a it aren't I.

Steve.

[Edited by stevencotton - 8/7/2002 4:55:30 PM]
Old 07 August 2002, 02:38 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Can I use my Canon digital IXUSV to capture video direct to my laptop? It will only store 30 seconds of video at a time onto the CF card, I wondered if I rigged it up to the laptop whether it would be OK for track day recording...just a thought.

Anyone done this?
Old 07 August 2002, 07:03 PM
ScoobyTal
Scooby Regular

well it could be possible as you can view video live on your tv so you get a feed from the tv out into a video capture card ! and Robert is your Dads Brother

Tal
Old 08 August 2002, 11:03 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

The software that came with it, remotecapture, allows the control of the camera through the USB cable, seems a bit usless to me but I guess you could tripod mount it... problem is you cant seem to see what is in the view finder on the computer. Also the software gives the option to save direct to the computer which made me wonder about it.
There was a piece of video software too which had a capture option but it complained about some missing software which I couldn't find anywhere...