Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

MS Certificate Services - Help

Search this Thread

Old 04 October 2002, 05:04 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing MS CA as standalone.

Win2k Svr/IIS5.

Machine IIS all working fine etc.

http://machinename/certsrv - as soon as i try to use the admin pages i get a green box with "Downloading ActiveX control..." appear.

It stays there forever, never failing and never finishing. The machine has a route out to the Internet which works. I also tried directly connecting it with a modem. SPK3. Uninstall/reinstall CA and IIS.

Used CA before. Never had this. Can't find a thing on TechNet about it.

I am really loosing my temper now. I have to prove our software works with user matched certs and this is my test machine. Fresh 2K install just for the job.

Please some one says you know what is going on and how to fix it.................please please please, before I get my pay doc'd for busting another machine
Old 04 October 2002, 05:14 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Molds,

Yay.... I reported this as a fault with Microsoft PSS yesterday. It seems like its an issue with IE6 as I have a base server with IE5 and 5.5 installed and it works ok.

Also its not an issue with IE zones as even if the relevent zone security is set to low it still fails. - its a real bummer.

One good thing, the guy at Microsoft said that it did exactly the same thing on their test rig too.

Also its not the server end we dont think as well as the Microsoft online Cert Servers do the same too.

Sorry i cant offer a fix yet - ill let u know if i get anything back on the call.

Ids
Old 04 October 2002, 05:20 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

ids

you total star * !

i dont care if there is no fix.

at least i know i am not going mad, and for my test environment i can use ie5.5 instead.

my wkend would have been ruined after wasting all day trying to sort this and obviously i wasnt going to as long as i persisted with ie6.

MS - love/hate isn't it. keeps me in a job but sometimes... :angry:

thank you sooooo much. should have posted that this morning, lol

Matt
Old 04 October 2002, 05:26 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I'd check with ie5 first as I did not actually test with ie5.5 but im sure it works.

The activex applet basically interogates the local machines CryptoAPI and pulls out the 'crypto providers' and adds them into a drop down list.

The other option I thought was to had crank the ASP page to select the 'ms base crypto provider 1.0' as thats usually what people use. Im gonna have a look at that as a short term fix on monday.

Glad it helped you out mate, its took me 2 days to work out what was going on and report to MS.

Ids
Old 04 October 2002, 05:30 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

I think IE5/5.5 will be fine becuase I have never had this problem before and both machines I have had this on this week are IE6.

Funny you should mention hacking the ASP page. I too had been through it - hard work - to follow it round. That was going to be my next port of call.

I would be really interested to hear what MS have to say. When they come back to you do you mind posting or emailing me with the low down?

Thanks again, it really has made my afternoon m8
Old 04 October 2002, 05:35 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

Will do

Ill have a ponder and think what to edit in the ASP on Monday. Its not too bad once you stip out the JavaScript

as for MS - well ill let you know

Ids
Old 04 October 2002, 05:50 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Just took IE6 off and rolled back to IE 5.00, 128bit, SP3.

Unistalled CA as I noticed is updated some of the .dll's. Reinstalled.

Just started IE and gone to admin CA admin page.

Same thing!

Not sure if something has been left behind by IE6. May have trash this machine and start again to know for sure?

Oh, why did I have to do that now and not just go home happy...
Old 07 October 2002, 03:00 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

blimey

bad one then.... i seem to remember certain things cannot be uninstalled when iE6 is installed. The crypto API will be one of them as its a key windows component.

Looking at the ASP code you are right - its worse than i remembered. Ill let you know if i get any feedback or come up with a workaround

Ids
Old 07 October 2002, 03:12 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that ASP stuff is defo more involved than it used to be I am sure.

I re installed Win 2K Svr over the top of the existing installation this morning.

I havent applied any SPKs of Hotfixes. Just "as it came" on the MSDN CD (Build 2195).

IE is version 5.00.2920.0000 56bit, also non SPK'd.

Checked IIS was working OK. Added Cert Servcies.

Now works fine!

Going to make a Ghost image so I can put it back quickly and then try SPKing Windows to latest. I will take IE up to the latest short of IE6. See what happens and post back.

At least I can now get my testing done. Makes a joke out of wasting disk space with uninstall folders for rolling back doesnt it?

Cheers

Matt

Old 07 October 2002, 03:13 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I was running CA on a W2k server SP3 and ie6 with no problems. I installed CA while the server was at sp1 then applied the service pack and it worked fine first time.

I did however have the same problem as you on a laptop, but I uninstalled CA and IIS and re-installed from there then re-applied SP3 and it worked fine.

Maybe the bug only appears under certain conditions?
Old 07 October 2002, 03:21 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Notorious

Could be mate because I tried a number of uninstall/reinstall + SPK options before giving up and scrapping the Windows install.

Be interesting to see what happens now as I SPK things up bit at a time whilst it is working. When I was having trouble on Thursday/Friday I started off the other way around with a machine that was already SPKd up in all departments.

Matt
Old 08 October 2002, 09:27 AM
Molds
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

This just isn't fun

My joys were short lived. Well, about as short as my fore sight into what I am doing. Doh!

CertSrv admin working on the CA server is a step forward but in order to do the testing necessary for this project I need to request certs from other client machines. Bl00dy typical they are all using IE6 so I am part way back to square one.

9.25AM and its all smileys like this so far.

Grrrrrrr