Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Colin McRae 3 demo on X box

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 11:45 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

The one on the X-Box demo disc says Work In Progress. Which is a good sign, although the previous demos they have supplied have been a pretty fair reflection of the final versions.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 10/7/2002 11:46:12 AM]
Old 04 October 2002, 11:17 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

With this month's official X box mag.

What do people think?

Personally I think codemasters have been lazy with the xbox version. The graphics look like the shoddy PS2 version, they don't seem to be using the power of the xbox at all. Just put Rallisport challenge on afterward and what a difference, the graphics are ace on that game.

I am getting the impression that if the game is developed for PS2 and the Xbox, the developers are just quickly porting the game over to xbox from the ps2. Shame really. You just have to take a look at the graphical power of the xbox with its xbox only titles such as Halo, Dead or Alive, Rallisport to see what the console can do.

So please developers out there, don't do lazy ports from the ps2 cos I won't be buying them!!!
Old 05 October 2002, 02:00 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

This happened with CMR2 and the pc - a direct port from the PS, but with fancy gfx. Plagued with low-performance, and no patch
Old 05 October 2002, 05:39 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

PS2 is king.

Marketshare is king.

Higher performance (X-BOX) means diddly squat, unfortunately.
Old 05 October 2002, 06:31 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Hi Daz, You seem to have it in for the xbox. Why?

I've got both an xbox and a ps2. I know the xbox is the better specced but developers are lazy and obviously after the easiest way to get the bucks. In my mind if they just spent a few extra months getting the game ready for the xbox after the ps2 version, then you would just see how good the xbox is. Whether it will happen is another thing. However if a game is developed only for the xbox, then that is a different matter and there is no excuse that the game should be a let down.

However saying all that, I think it is about time that we had just one format, one console, all agreed upon by Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo etc. Then the games companies could just get on with extracting the best from the one console. However the battle between the 2 giants Sony and Microsoft, I reckon Nintendo will go the same way as Sega, software only!, will be one to watch. I believe Microsoft will have the better on line gaming experience (if the UK can get it's broadband sorted) but I agree the quantity of games is won hands down by Sony.

Let the battle commence.....
Old 05 October 2002, 07:08 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate

Don't have it in for X-Box seriously. Just been disappointed with it. Totally agree that developers do PS2 first and the rest to follow.

I also agree that X-Box is easier to develope for, but again that may go against it. If its TOO easy to develope for like X-Box and its DirectX(ish) API, you get every tom dick and harry churning out their trash for it.

I ALSO agree (sheesh enough of this!) about Nintendo reverting to a software only company too, leaving the way for Sony to compete with Microsoft.

As for a common API, I'm sure Microsoft would LOVE to get DirectX into PS3, but I can't see them licencsing it from their main competitor. I'm sure Sony regret making the PS2 LESS developer friendly (writing to the metal, etc). Nintendo learned that very same lesson with N64 which really hurt them (perhaps the first step on the road to reverting to a sw only company?), but came back with a lovely development api for GameCube I'm told. I'd expect Sony to correct their same mistake in readiness for PS3.

If anyone can break Japan's dominance of the console market, it IS Microsoft. On paper, X-Box is by far the superior hardware, but its not about that - its about the games. Its a debateable point but the majority of the best game developers are based in Japan and their biased to PS2 and GameCube ahead of X-Box.

In future I don't see the X-Box game situation changing - it WILL get the odd brilliant developer to do stuff like HALO, but in the main it'll also get the 2nd rate ports like MGS2.

To change that, Bill's gonna have to get his XBOX chequebook out and BUY some quality developers like RARE (GoldenEye, StarFox, Perfect Dark)...oh hold on, he just has!

-DV

Old 05 October 2002, 09:38 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Porting games across has generally been a poor option, they hardly ever re-work gfx/sound etc.
Its far to easy to pop it straight across, with a minimum of change and let the game sell on its name/license etc. Why spend loads tarting it up when they can port it and make a quick killing.

Old 07 October 2002, 09:51 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

I played the demo at the weekend and have to say it rocked.

The first level it took me to was the snow one, with which I was highly disappointed. The car seemed to sink into a rather blocky snow drift and generally the snow looked pretty bad.

Then I played the UK level and it totally redeemed itself. The course was the best I have seen on any console. Racing through a realistic forest with individual trees. Superb detailing. Fantastic layout and great touches.

The handling was just as you would expect from the CMC series, spot on. The crash damage was highly impressive and I will definately be purchasing this

OK, its not exactly groundbreaking and far from perfect but its without doubt the best rally game I have played (and I've played most of them).

Don't get me started on the PS2. Highly disappointing IMO, loads of games, almost all total pap. Doesn't even compare to the X-Box.
Old 07 October 2002, 11:44 AM
munna
Scooby Regular

were the versions that you chaps played...the finished code?...or work in progress?
Old 07 October 2002, 12:13 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Well they will have to improve the game's looks before I purchase it. I thought the graphics were shoddy. Totally flat graphics, no textures at all and the xbox is easily programmed to be able to add texture mapping without any difficulty. This game looks no different to the PS2 version. Come on codemasters, before you release this game, use the power of the xbox please!!!