Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

PS2, X-Box or GameCube?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2002, 09:40 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new toy for those cold winter nights! Which is best? Had an N64 but sold it cos I got fed up with the lack of games for it. Currently have a PS1 but want something spanglier
Old 07 October 2002, 09:48 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I've done the same - bought an XBox though. Technically superior to anything else there.......

BUT PS2 is still the daddy.....

The XBox games, in all fairness, are good, and more and more are being released...

I bought mine primarily as a DVD for the wife (she's pregnant and want's to watch films upstairs )

Both PS2 and XBox are DVDs. XBox recently got 4/5 stars in WhatDVD (or whatever it's called) 1/5 for looks

Personally, I'd go for XBox!! Hope this helps

Dan
Old 07 October 2002, 09:55 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Wink

Whereas I've opted for PS2 + GameCube, the latter system being a little light on games at the moment, but this will change come Xmas and the Jan/Feb next year!

Plus Mario Sunshine is awesome!

Alex
Old 07 October 2002, 10:04 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Lightbulb

X-Box every time. There may be more games for the PS2, as you would expect as it was released earlier. But the quality of those games is generally disappointing. The X-Box games will soon totally overshadow anything produced on the PS2.

Get the X-Box and you will be investing in the future. £40 for X-Box live online gaming too, get it now and get 3 months free ! absolute bargain.

The PS2 does have some good games, don't get me wrong, but nothing comes close to Halo . . . and DOA3 . . . oh, and RalliSport
Old 07 October 2002, 10:25 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

PS2 gets my vote have never tried a gamecube, and wouldn't spend my own money on something by Micros**t if my life depended on it, I spend all day at work rebooting PCs with their crap on:angry
Old 07 October 2002, 10:38 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Cool

PS2 every single time. X-Box will die a death in the next 12 months. It just doesn't have the culture base like the PS2. And Dunk, the games are awesome. GTA3, GT3, Toca, MOH, and soon CMR3, The Getaway etc etc.

PS2 rules any day of the week - ask yourself this. Did you enjoy your PS1 whilst you had it, when people used to say the Dreamcast was better? I rest my case
Old 07 October 2002, 10:45 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

I did enjoy my PS1 immensely Just disappointed by the PS2. Not enough of a step forward IMO. X-Box just seems to have "something" extra in the games. Not to mention broadband out-of-the-box, a built in Hard Disk and Four controller ports as standard
Old 07 October 2002, 11:09 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

PS2 - good range of games and all your old PS1 games can be used on it.

I have a PS2 and Gamecube as well. Nice combination. If I wanted to play games like Halo, I use my PC!
Old 07 October 2002, 11:13 AM
Chimple
Scooby Regular

A friend has all three.

The GC seems top be more aimed at kids (aren't they always?).

He prefers the xbox....
Old 07 October 2002, 11:32 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I appreciate that the GameCube is aimed at kids, but with games like Lugis Mansion and now Super Mario Sunshine, it offering adventure-type games that I didn't play on the PS2.

Although the PS2 still does it for me since the release of Tekken 4! The definative fighting game in my opinion.

Then you have good driving games and shooting games on the PS2 as well.

Everytime I played on the XBox I was always feel let down after all the hype. With the release of Unreal Touranment 2003 on the PC, it's made me want to upgrade my PC, rather than buy Halo and an XBox!

The GameCube is just a fun console and my girlfriend who doesn't use the PS2 has been playing Lugis Mansion for ages!

I guess these consoles all appeal to slightly different markets, you just need to decide which one you are!
Old 07 October 2002, 12:35 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I went for Xbox (+X-Ecuter and 123gig hard disk ))

Buy most games from US !! Havent played PS2 much but have been VERY impressed with the Xbox (Rallisport, Halo)

Dave
Old 07 October 2002, 12:48 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Wink

I've got a Dreamcast, XBox, and a 'Cube, all have their strengths.
There are some cracking Xbox games available, and most of them were in the initial batch so you're likely to find them cheap in the pre-owned section of game shops.
My old (T)rusty Dreamcast still has some addictive games (Phantasy Star Online, Eternal Arcadia, Bass Fishing ) and I play that when I feel a little bored.
The Cube doesn't have many games for it, but it is cheap and the good games it does have are very very good.
I stay away from PS2's, performance-wise compared to the XBox and Gamecube it sucks and the lack of texture memory is very evident (some games I've seen just look like the old PS titles)

You pays your money....
Old 08 October 2002, 10:22 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

blip,

I'm curious which console you will choose. Do you have any idea?

Lots of information and some of it conflicting!!

Cheers
Andy
Old 08 October 2002, 11:12 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has all the consoles, including Xbox, PS2 and Cube. I've asked him, and 90% of the time it's the Xbox he plays.

I've only recently bought an Xbox and I'm seriously impressed. I have a PS1, and thought I'd go for the PS2, but looking into the choices, and being able to try them out, I went for the XBox. Mind you, if I wanted to watch DVDs on it I'd be p'd off at having to but the remote. But I don't - I have a DVD player for that.

Get the Xbox, get the advanced scart, get a 5.1 amp, get blown away.

Simple really!
Old 08 October 2002, 12:38 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Another vote for XBox. Mate has a PS2 and we both agree the XBox knocks spots off it. Also, if you do want to watch DVD's with it the Xbox is much better quality......

As for the best games being the early ones, true in a sense, I recently went into game and got DOA3(incredible graphics), Hunter: The Reckoning(quite fun multi player zombie shooter) and Rallisport Challenge (no detail needed ) all for 60quid All pre-owned but in 1st class condition, and they do buy 2 get 1 free on all pre-owned games
Old 08 October 2002, 01:56 PM
stevenuk300
Scooby Regular

Heard rumours there will be a hard drive available for PS2 later. This will improve the quality of games to compete with the XBOX.
Old 08 October 2002, 02:18 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Talking

Blimey!
For once this topic has been covered with reasonable civility

I went into Game today and was tempted to buy an X-Box, since I wanted it for gaming and a second DVD. I've been put off buying both PS2 and X-Box before since I already had a DVD, but quite fancy another in the bedroom for those lazy Sundays.

However, I read up almost daily on this kind of thing, and the X-Box hasn't really performed well in any of it's territories. Buying Rare (once a Nintendo player) could revive it's fortunes, but it's flagging slightly just now.

The PS2 (along with the PS1) has become the mass-market choice, despite there being technically better machines like XB and GC. It's difficult to challenge it's market position, and Sony have announced it's already working on a successor, which it hopes to become the hub of all your entertainment appliances in the home.

X-Box Live and the PS2 service require a broadband connection, so you'll be paying twice in essence (once for XB/ PS2 and again for the BB service provider) and if there's very little take up, then it won't really feel like much of an experience.

The GameCube is cheaper but often misses out on those popular titles available on other platforms due to Nintendo's policies. However saying that, I owned a N64 and enjoyed the fact that I had Goldeneye, Blast Corps, Zelda etc all to myself. But it quickly became apparent that titles like GT2, Resident Evil etc etc were all passing me by. It's lack of DVD features on the GC may also be a factor for some, and the fact it's discs are of an unusual size, so you can't even play CD's.

Tough choices ahead!
Old 08 October 2002, 05:06 PM
blip
Scooby Regular

Wow Loads of advice but I'm still not sure which one I'll go for. I am tempted by the XBox as it seems that soon there'll be loads of games for it, and I've owned a Nintendo and a Sony console before so quite fancy trying something different

I'd really like to read a comparison of the two by any of the gaming mags/sites. Does anyone know of any decent ones showing performance/tech specs as well as a subjective appraisal?
Old 08 October 2002, 05:23 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I have an advanced SCART cable for my Xbox, with the fibre optic cable. Halo in 5.1 Surround is truly awesome.

Dave
Old 09 October 2002, 08:02 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Wink

Tech specs are nothing without a developer to make the use of them, so don't go by these alone.

Pick up a couple of magazines (like Edge, CVG etc, avoid 'official' company mags, they're biased obviously) and check out what's available games wise so you can find out what appeals to you most in this respect.

Try these sites for info...

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/
http://www.computerandvideogames.com
http://www.edge-online.com
http://www.teletext.com/digitiser/home.asp?intSubSectionID=1

Happy reading

Old 09 October 2002, 10:02 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

However, I read up almost daily on this kind of thing, and the X-Box hasn't really performed well in any of it's territories. Buying Rare (once a Nintendo player) could revive it's fortunes, but it's flagging slightly just now.
Right......Here's a sales report for the end of August
Inform figures show retailers sold 4321 Xbox consoles last week, up from 1561 the previous week. Sales were helped by the popularity of the Halo Combat Pack, which bundles a free copy of Halo and the DVD pack with the Xbox console.

But Xbox sales still trailed the more established PlayStation 2 from Sony. Inform figures show retailers sold 5804 PS2 consoles last week, down from 7494 the previous week.

As you see, Xbox is converting more users than the PS2, thry this report from the states
I liek the way the report says the PS2 is an 'alternative purchase' for customers who can't get hold of an XBOX or Gamecube.

Out of my 3 consoles, the Xbox is the one that amazed me the most, take away the DVD player ability (I already have 2 players, don't need a 3rd thank you), the machine is very impressive. Add to that the ability to rip music cd's to the hard drive and play that music in the game instead of the ingame music, and it's a treat.

What many people failed to realise is adding a HD to a PS2 will do nothing, the software has to be written to utilise the HD.
Old 09 October 2002, 10:19 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Question

If you had to pick the best three games that showcases these consoles what would they be?

I think that the games mean a lot more than just technical specifications.

As I've said before Halo really didn't do it for me. I guess years of playing the Doom/Quake/UT genre of games on good quality PCs really shows me that Halo is nothing special!

Maybe I'll get swayed and buy an Xbox as well (but I doubt it!!!)

Old 09 October 2002, 05:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Showcase?

XBox - Project Gotham Racing

PS2 - should say GT3, but whilst I was waiting for it to load, I got bored and played XBox instead!!

Dan
Old 09 October 2002, 05:19 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs down

PS2 load times . . . . hehe PMSL
Old 09 October 2002, 07:38 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular