Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

TOCA Race Driver on PS2

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 11:09 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not as good as cocaine IMHO

[Edited by what would scooby do - 10/8/2002 11:09:57 AM]
Old 08 October 2002, 10:47 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Anyone tried it, what do you reckon?
Old 08 October 2002, 11:59 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I think it is very good, there is a good range of cars and the tracks are excellent especially Bathurst. The early racing is fairly easy but it does get harder the furhter you progress. The cars handle well and the AI is not bad either. I prefer it to GT3 as it includes damage, GT3 is good but I hate bouncing off walls at over 100mph and still being able to drive.
Old 08 October 2002, 12:20 PM
Darren (M3)
Scooby Regular

On a slightly different note, I put on Gran Turismo 3 for the firs time in a year and its still as amazing as ever!
Old 08 October 2002, 12:29 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not bad - nice and close racing and great AI, but handling is way unrealistic, and the competitors brake far too early leaving you to coast past them, even in the final races.

The story part is crap - shallow and finishes too soon.

Not bad though - if it had the graphics, and handling of GT3 it would be great. Similarly, if GT3 had crash damage and the AI/Racing of TRD that would be amazing.

Sorry, but the Complete racing game has still to be released IMHO
Old 08 October 2002, 01:04 PM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Good and bad for me as well.

Had some great races - Aussie V8s at Bathurst

and some appalling unrealism - Corvette slewing sideways constantly at 120 mph arounf Rockingham oval.

Used to to learn Rockingham road circuit before a track day recently which was good.

All in all, nowhere near as good as V-Rally 3 which I reckon hasn't had as much credit as it deserves.
Old 09 October 2002, 01:09 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Now got it and played it

The graphics are no better than TOCA World touring cars, which is a PS1 game FFS!

The brakes lock all the time (even on the DTM cars which in reality have ABS) as no thought has been put into how you are going to feel the point of locking on a joypad. This is a fault to be found on all the Codemasters TOCA games though.

The storyline is s**t and interupts the important bits.

The voice-in from the pit crew is irritating in the extreme, with it's stereotype American accent and complete lack of consistency with what's going on at the time. This aspect of TOCA 1 & 2 was brilliant, then started downhill with WTC

The selection of tracks is very good, and they all seem pretty accurate.

As sillysi says the damage aspect is good, but I do find it annoying that you can still be competitive even after a heavy suspension damaging impact. This is a reversal to far of what happened in WTC though, even a light impact would render your car slower than a milk float. To be fair, they are probably trying to strike a happy medium between realism & playability.

Overall it's not bad, I will play it till completion, but they could do with looking at GT3 for it's graphics & driveability before bringing out the next version.
Old 09 October 2002, 01:30 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

IMHO, and I have pointed this out in the Codies forum, they have no passion for the sport. The people developing these games dont know enough about it, or have enough drive to create a great game.

The developers are paid to produce a game which then makes money. They are not bothered that much about the actual sport.

These games should be part developed, and more specifically tested byt the likes of people on Scoobynet (i.e. us). We are the ones that know how driving games should work.

For TRD, straight away I would have pointed out that the braking was very wrong, and the lack of a rear view mirror was a massive error. Time should have been spent on the car graphics, rather than on birds wiggling their ***** down the start line - pointless!!

It really infuriates me, that developers still cant create something that is spot on - GT3 is the closest so far, but without AI/close racing and damage it is not A1.

Just my 2p
Old 09 October 2002, 11:10 PM
Mark Jackson
Scooby Regular

ITS CRAP, TRUST ME !!!!