Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Zone Alarm new version question

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2002, 07:26 PM
Fast_Blue_Scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new version of Zone Alarm (latest update) is now putting up the dial up screen every time windows loads up. The previous version I had to run at startup and it never asked me to dial in. It was present in the task bar and ready to work once I went on line.

The only option I can find in the preferences is to not load up at start up BUT if I do this, Zone Alarm does not appear in the task bar AND I need to run it from the start menu if I go online.

Does anyone know how to configure ZoneAlarm so that it appears in the task bar AND does NOT ask for me to dial in?

OR

I do not run Zone Alarm from the start up BUT when I dial in, the dial in when finished automatically runs the exe for Zone Alarm? (I notice that there is a dial up script BUT I couldn't get it to run Zone Alarm!)

I am running Windows 98 if that helps.

Old 08 October 2002, 08:48 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

hmmm... i had the same problem with the latest version of zonealarm pro so i drop back down to version 3.0.134.
Old 09 October 2002, 09:03 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I am runing Pro Version 3.0.118 on Win2K and do not have the problem, but on my second PC running the latest free version I do. I have asked Zone Alarms tec support but have not yet got a reply.
Old 10 October 2002, 11:46 PM
awd2000
Scooby Newbie

Also had the same problem with 3.1.395 - there's a bucket load of items about this in the grc.security.software newsgroup over at GRC.COM.

Explanations range from....

- the paranoid "it's phoning home with all my details"
- through "ZA have added a check for installs using cracked activation keys" (although this shouldn't apply to the free version and this still causes the problem)
- to the "don't worry, were just trying to be helpful and doing a leftover DNS lookup from the last session" response from a ZA techie who is active in the group (this seems a bit lame - how come there's a "leftover" DNS lookup from every session, then?)

Take your pick!

No new on a fix yet.

Cheers

awd (now back on v3.1.291 and not getting the problem)