Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Some images not appearing when using Norton Personal Firewall 2003...

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2002, 06:01 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the pointer boomer. Just found the answer in the additional Personal Firewall options only available from the top menu and not through the main one (pity they're not labelled as advanced though as I may have spotted them then...) under Web Content, Global Settings. The default is to block information about visited sites and you can set this to permit universally or for selected sites only. What threw me was that you could disable the 'Personal Firewall' option completely from the main menu and this did not solve the problem making it seem like only the Privacy Control settings on the main menu would hold the answers. Pity they omitted the option to allow you to configure this from the relevant sections options and not just in the additional universal ones...

[Edited by scoobysnacks - 12/8/2002 6:15:17 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 03:12 PM
scoobysnacks
Scooby Regular

Question

Anyone else here found that some images will not load with this software installed. eg http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=145408

Why is it that only some images are affected, like all those from http://upload.turbosport.co.uk/ etc etc?
The only way I can get them to appear is to disable 'Enable Browser Privacy' completely in the Privacy Control customization area. Unfortunate, as 'you don't really want to do that' do you?
In Zone Alarm you could reduce the Cookie Blocking to a minimum and this sort of problem was eliminated, but not here. Any suggestions (except switching it off or changing back to Zone Alarm...)?

[Edited by scoobysnacks - 12/8/2002 3:15:51 PM]
Old 08 December 2002, 03:17 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I got well pissed off and revertec back to 2002 firewall !

Si
Old 08 December 2002, 04:17 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Go into NPF "Advanced Options" (might be called summat else for 2003, as i use the 2001 version) and choose the "Web" tab (or whatever allows you to specify options for individual sites).

Then select the turbosport site and ensure that you permit the "Referrer" ID (possibly in the Privacy section) for that particular site.

I think that turbosport checks whether the "referrer" (or source site) is Scoobynet so that it can't be abused by other (e.g. prawn) sites!

mb