Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ntl broadband unable to connect

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2002, 12:49 AM
normarker2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be a long one.
Can't get anything other than website unavailable on ntl on my main pc. Been through the helpline route and checked everything, they were v. good once I got through, all settings OK. Gave up and tried to setup an old pc with the same settings, works fine, so all settings and connection are OK.
Back to main PC, I can ping them, they can ping me, but only by IP number, not by name.
Only dif. between PCs is the one that works uses automaticaly detect settings for the internet connctions, the one that doesn't work keeps loading up with use automatic configuration script with ticked and a long address http://proxycfg.marketscore.com etc.
I can't get rid of this, it goes back on a reboot.
I searched for the poxy thing and removed it from the registry, no effect. It's also in windows system and I can't get it out of there.
I've reinstalled win 98se twice and its still there.
Can anyone help me here without a reformat c:\ wich would be a serious pain in the butt.
Old 25 December 2002, 01:32 AM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Might not work,

But have you tried re-installing Internet Explorer?

Darren
Old 25 December 2002, 01:59 AM
normarker2
Scooby Regular

Yes but it gets me nowhere. I get the same prob with Netscape so it has to be somewhere in settings.
If I get brave I will copy all the c drive to a spare partition, format c: and reinstall win98se, then copy back all but the windows folder to c:
It might even work, you never know.
Old 25 December 2002, 10:46 AM
nigelward
Scooby Regular

Did you sign up with these people:

http://www.marketscore.com/e/home.asp

I haven't used them personally, but is there anything in the startup program group that could be replacing the registry entries at restart or is there anything in Add/Remove programs that could be removed to restore your web browsing?
Old 25 December 2002, 11:44 AM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Back to main PC, I can ping them, they can ping me, but only by IP number, not by name.
Have you checked that the TCP settings are set up correctly? This usually means that the DNS settings aren't right so it can't turn names into IP addresses which is why the web sites can't be found. If you know the IP address of something like Google (216.239.39.101) you could try typing that straight into the browser and see if it gets through?

Chris