Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Everquest players?

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2003, 11:37 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Any Everquest players here?

Cem
Old 28 January 2003, 11:51 AM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Just quit, was playing 65 enc with 75AAs in an emperor capable guild, just got 1600 dollars for my char and bought a 32 inch philips pixel plus with the cash
Old 28 January 2003, 12:12 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Jesus, 65??

Whats AA?

Cem
Old 28 January 2003, 06:14 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Must be more of you!
Cem
Old 28 January 2003, 09:25 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

used to play but the fact money became worthless after a while and far to many people cheating through proxies ruined it for me.

(depends what server your on etc).

Old 29 January 2003, 11:37 AM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

You say that Pholt but i was making 180 quid a month easily from pissing about in a game when bored on an evening since 100k plat was worth 300 US dollars and i sold my character for 1700 dollars all in paying for my new TV
Old 29 January 2003, 11:56 AM
mj
Scooby Regular

let me get this right - you can make money playing games?

post some liks pleeeze.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2003, 12:17 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I know what can be achieved, my friend has his 6 pc network running proxies all ay/night so all he does is fill his inven slots with materials then leaves his chars standing at a forge all day making stuff then selling them etc.

Old 29 January 2003, 01:59 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I play on the Antonius Bayle server (used to play on Vallon Zek, but got fed up with the lame Player vs Player politics, so started afresh when AB went live). I have the following characters:

62 Enchanter (my main)
56 Shadowknight
56 Necromancer
56 Druid
55 Cleric

And yes, I do play far too much! I also got my wife hooked, and she has a 61 cleric with 'epic'

I think the loopholes allowing you to make PP through running macros for tradeskills (which is what ptholt is describing), and rapidly making items worth more to a merchant than they cost you to make, have all been closed. You're also likely to get your account banned if you get caught using them, but I don't know how likely that is. I also don't agree that money becomes worthless - it is the items in the game which become progressively worthless. For example, a dogs b0ll0cks weapon such as the "shortsword of ykesha" from the original game is worth nothing now, 4 expansions later, with weapons like the "windblade" around.

Yes, you can still make real money by playing the game, and selling items like platinum pieces on sites such as www.playerauctions.com. You could also sell your high level characters, and although 1600 USD sounds like a lot, I'd hazard a guess that it works out at about 50cents an hour for the time invested in a 65 enchanter with 75 AA's. You'd get a better income from flipping burgers.

Cem - AA=Alternative Advancement. One AA point requires about the same amount of experience as to level from 51 to 52. You can spend your amassed points on character advancing stuff, such as having an inherently faster run speed, regenerate your mana quicker, have more chance to do critical damage with your spells, and many many other things.

Gary.
Old 29 January 2003, 08:40 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

lol @ the flipping burgers analogy by Gary!

Played it once and hated it. Much prefer to run around shooting people in Counterstrike. Much better chance of earning money through skill rather than just spending time at ur pc. IIRC the last CPL (CyberAthlete ProGamer League) comp was around $100k 1st place prize for a team of 6 players.

Simon.
Old 29 January 2003, 10:31 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

I was playing on the povar server (an early one) that many of us from the quake 2 leagues went across to play on and after a short break away from the game the monetary value of certain items has changed dramatically like is mentioned above.

It was fine if you kept playing and were at the higher levs, but for some of us who took time out to remember what the kids looked like (yes it can be THAT addictive, trust me) when we came back items that were once valuable were useless and we were somewhat stuck in a rut which was easier to fix by ditching the player on the old server and starting on a new one.

I think there must still be some proxies running, my mate still uses a linux machine to inform him of every spawn in your zone so he knows when to run or when to camp for example, i think he has stopped the forge whoring tho.
Old 30 January 2003, 08:57 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

You guys want to play Counterstrike - a Real Mans game
Old 30 January 2003, 09:14 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Just as an example for Counterstrike. I used to play for one of the top UK clans called 4 Kings (now called infinity-e.sports after their sponsor). They get paid to travel the world and play CS. Flights, other travel, accomodation all paid for. Off to places like Dallas, Korea etc with insane prizes up for grabs.

http://www.four-kings.com/news.php?&1=on&4=on

Simon.
Old 30 January 2003, 09:23 AM
Steve Perriam
Scooby Regular

get back playing cs cem u n000b
Old 30 January 2003, 09:37 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Cool

P1f what was ur callsign in 4k? were you a Q3 player or purely cs ?

edited to add I thought IeS (or 4k) was no.1 in UK and top 5-10 in the world? (Didn't they win in Dalas?)

My Old cs clan won £2500 for coming second (to 4K ) at Intel Lan match But I think I'll stick to programming

[Edited by Dizzy - 1/30/2003 9:40:57 AM]
Old 30 January 2003, 12:34 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

The Linux software which allows you to cheat by seeing all monsters in the current playing zone is called 'ShowEQ'. I know one person who actively uses it, and another who used to. Because of some changes to the way the encryption works, I think you now have to have a small program (which masquerades as a device driver) running on your EQ PC, as well as the main software running on a Linux machine. This has probably put some people off using it, since if it was detected (and my mate is adamant it can't be), then you'd definitely have your account cancelled, and bye-bye all the hard work you put into your characters.

Saying Everquest is addictive is really an understatement. It really is the PC game equivalent of crack. It has been the cause of many broken marriages (there is a very large yahoo group called EQWidows), failed students, and one player even committed suicide after he was scammed out of some of his items by an online 'friend'.

Gary.
Old 30 January 2003, 12:37 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

When EQ came out i was playing in a division 1 quake clan, approx half the players from each clan went off playing eq together on povar and quake 2 died over night almost as teams struggled to get players.

its quite pleasant when you help what appears to be a newbie and then he tells you to wait then this strange looking chap comes up and give you a load of armour, you then find out hes started a new char and for helping his old one hes given you a load of cool stuff Had that happen quite a few times seeing as i normally play a bard and used to hang around the newbie areas locating dead bodies for coin and gifts
Old 30 January 2003, 02:53 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

yeh I get that in neverwinter nights too although thats extreemly limited..

I had contemplated playing EQ but the monthly subscription put me off... however I will be getting star wars galaxies... anyone else going too?
Old 30 January 2003, 03:25 PM
P1 Enthusiast
Scooby Regular

Yup Dizzy,

Already got a group of players together for it who are from europe, should be alot of fun.

The European Forum for SWG is the www.theomegaproject.net/forums and european players have chosen Eclipse to play on as their server due to US only servers at release.
Old 30 January 2003, 03:41 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

okelydokely

pmsl @ one quote from the site
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
I'll just have to rush out and buy it as soon as its on the shelves
Old 30 January 2003, 04:24 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

So is Everquest still the best in the genre?
Old 30 January 2003, 06:15 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

At the moment I think EQ is the best MMORPG. I've tried Asherons Call and another (sci-fi) based game whose name escaped me, but they didn't hold my attention for long. Some people have tried Dark Age of Camelot, but returned to EQ when they've discovered no depth to the game.

However, there are some promising titles coming in the future: Shadowbane, Everquest 2, Horizons etc.

Gary.
Old 31 January 2003, 12:43 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

So there's nobody here who currently plays? I used to have a 37 Necro a coupla years ago, but got fed up of the poor support then, so I stopped playing..
GOt back into it a few days ago, have a lvl 14 again on Antonius Bayle. Would love to hook up.

Cem
Old 31 January 2003, 09:13 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

sounds like a singles ad cem
Old 31 January 2003, 10:40 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cem, re-read my post - I have 5 characters on Antonius Bayle. Send my enchanter (name Mezzin) a /tell in game. Unfortunately the guild I am in is L51+, but I can fix you up with some platinum pieces if you like, to give you a kickstart. What class are you playing now?

Gary.
Old 31 January 2003, 03:14 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Awesome, that would be great.
I'm a Necro again, best class IMO

I'll drop you an email now...

Cem
Old 01 February 2003, 08:56 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Cem, here's the links I promised:

Couple of good general resources
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/
http://eq.crgaming.com

Server Ezboard
http://pub148.ezboard.com/bantoniusbaylecommunitycentre

Necro specific board
http://necro.eqclasses.com

I'd put them in as clicky-links, but I'm not sure how.

Gary.

[Edited by GCollier - 2/1/2003 8:57:30 AM]

[Edited by GCollier - 2/1/2003 9:01:49 AM]
Old 01 February 2003, 12:25 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Oh man, did this fella look after me last night or what!
Thanks G, was a top thing you did for me =)

Cem
Old 17 February 2003, 02:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Dizzy, I went by the name of Shockwave. I only played for them (pure CS) for a while under Johnny Neffgen (Genius) when they were purely 4K and just getting big. I hung around on their server a lot and got noticed. Owning the SLDR lads on that server used to be great fun:

http://www.p1f.co.uk/cs/4k.jpg

I also originally met them all in person at a LAN Comp where they beat my clan [SA] in the final.

I used to worry Liquid with the AWP

http://www.p1f.co.uk/cs/liquid.jpg

I started off playing for [SA] Snipers Alley then when they went under I moved to the reformed [UKLA] United Kingdom Liberation Army with Mani, Jobbie, DaveAngell, Stan, Araknid, Elem (probably the best UK awp'er ever) and Pathfinder (he's on Scoobynet although not much since he rolled his Scoob in one of the worst crashes to date on here).

Between the two I played for 4K online but due to my work commitments (working shifts) I couldnt devote enough time to them especially as we had to meet in london once a week to play via their sponsors net cafe.

CS (and most other network games) only succeed at a LAN level now because there are so many cheats. Even then with CS, CPL etc have had to clamp down on what config u can and cant use etc.

BTW what clan did u play for? I can remember a few 4k losses but the Nocturne one sticks in my head. Greg/Renegade I knew at Nocturne from I-Series lan comps. I know he's gone to 4k/ES now to replace Genius. I dont think 4K have ever been world #5. They are 16 at the mo looking at the CPL website. The Intel sponsorship is a big step forward for them and UK gaming. Looks like they now have Xenon from SK as well - it seems they are getting even stronger.

I dont play much anymore - just play the odd game on my mates server. Havent got enough time to practice and play for a decent team. Other interests in life now e.g. girlfriend and scoob Plus there are just way too many cheats these days!

EDITED to change images to urls for non-bb users!

Simon.

[Edited by P1Fanatic - 2/17/2003 3:44:27 PM]