Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Windows XP problem? or hard drive kaput?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 09:42 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question

I just downloaded the latest XP updates from Microsoft and rebooted the machine. Then I got a BSOD with "STOP: C000221 {Bad image checksum]. The image urlmon.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum".

I looke dup the error through Google (on another machine) and it suggested I copy a fresh file onto the hard drive. The only problem is that although the BIOS sees the hard drive a bootable floppy cannot. The PC also has a separate drive I use for Windows 98, and this works OK except that I still can't see the hard drive.

Any ideas out there? temperature related? (I leave it on 24/7 trying to catch up with Mr Footlong on UD)

Old 21 February 2003, 10:03 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure but i think the 98 machine doesn't see drive coz it's ntfs rather than fat32, have you tried booting from xp cdrom and trying the repair option.

Si
Old 21 February 2003, 10:37 PM
ChrisS/P1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which OS have you got on the C: drive (primary boot partition) and which other ones on the other drives? Are the drives physical or partitioned?
Old 22 February 2003, 08:08 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Of course, I have NTFS on the C drive! - completely forgot!
Anyway, I found a copy of the offending file (from another machine), fired up repair console and copied it to c:\windows\system (as on the other machine). There was no previous version on mine, but I assumed that it could not see it because it was corrupt. Still no luck yet though, BSOD still comes up.

Any more ideas please?
Old 22 February 2003, 09:26 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Talking

Now solved. It would have helped if I had copied the repaired file into the correct folder first time.

Thanks for the inspiration to realise that my hard drive had not in fact failed.