Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Surfing from laptop + GSM phone

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 09:41 AM
P130J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

How easy is it to do this and what sort of costs would I be looking at?

Obviously I'd need a PCMCIA modem of some sort plus the cabling to the phone (Nokia 7210). Can you use the GPRS for faster download speeds?

Anyone recommend any good deals on the required bits of kit?

Ta
Old 24 February 2003, 12:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
If your laptop has Infra Red you can use that. Nokia make available all the software you need on their website.
Old 24 February 2003, 12:49 PM
BigGT3Fan
Scooby Regular

Quite easy, but you'll def. need GPRS or at least HSCSD if you're on Orange. GSM dial up is only 9.6k and is useless for surfing.

You don't necessarily need any cables etc. if your phone supports IR and you don't mind a line-of-sight solution, you can use that.

What sort of phone do you have?

If it is bluetooth enabled, and you stump up for a bluetooth adapter for your laptop, or if the laptop supports BT anyway, then you can use that, like I do on the train, and leave your phone in your pocket/bag

Surfing at GPRS speed over bluetooth when mobile is not v. fast at around 30-40k depending on how many GPRS channels you get, but it is better than nothing, just don't expect to be able to do much quickly or download anything !

Alex
Old 25 February 2003, 03:07 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

GPRS is billed on the data transferred not on the airtime used, most corporate contracts are £1 per mb. I've been on a pilot GPRS scheme at work and it's only useful for e-mails, until somebody sent me 13MB Acrobat file.

Although GPRS works abroad, check the tarrifs when roaming. I was charged over £8 per mb when in Dublin!

What is good is GPRS and an iPAQ, if you sync directly to a server and set it to download without attachments it works very well.

Another thing to check is whether the GPRS radio will interfere with your laptop. A certain laptop manufacturer may have a little problem with their touchpads and GPRS cards!

Phil
Old 25 February 2003, 03:30 PM
Tim-Grove
Scooby Regular

I can use both IR and Bluetooth with my T68 to go online from my laptop. I just downloaded the modem drivers off the Ericsson site and bobs you uncle wireless connectivity.

Tim.