Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Progs for all in XP Home

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2003, 02:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Have XP Home on my home(!) PC. Me, wife, and teenage son set up as users. Wifey and I are admin, son is limited as he wants to download the entire internet and install it, without knowing the first thing about dodgy software or viruses.

Now I have a few progs I want to install and let everyone use. But son only has access to some of them. And I don't know why. For instance, I have a copy of the Oxford Dictionary, which simply installs into Program Files without any other questions asked (e.g. Do you want all users to have access to this program?). I can use it, he can't (Access denied). Similarly with a pre-XP copy of Mavis Beacon, and a Teach Yourself Portuguese course. Of course, I can switch him to Administrator, install it, then switch him back, but surely there's a better way?

My brother told me I had to install into All Users, but I don't see how - surely C:/Program Files is better? And I don't understand how he can get Office, but not the OED.

All help gratefully appreciated!

Brendan
Old 25 February 2003, 09:40 AM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brendan, Only used XP Professional but maybe this will help.
Firstly download and install Service pack one if you havent already. There was a problem with some files not having read access which XP needs to run programs.
Next would be to find the folder location and right click, chose properties, security tab, and make sure he has at least read/execute, list and read for the folders. then find the executable (program_name.exe) and make sure he has at least read/execute and read attributes.
Old 25 February 2003, 03:29 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks - I'll try tonight and see how it goes!