Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

learning Java

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 09:44 AM
Fosters
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to learn Java!

bit confused with all the stuff on the Sun site, so...

What's the best IDE/Compiler to use that I can download for free (like older versions of JBuilder, etc).

Whilst I'm starting off, I'm happy to use notepad and a compiler.

I've got a learn Java in 21 days book. I've tended to get a basic book to start with and then heavy reference books to answer specific questions - any recommendations (I personally like the red cover 'Professional' Wrox books - are these any good for Java?)?

Any help for the learner much appreciated. If it affects your advice, I'm versed in OO concepts and have some C++.
Old 17 March 2003, 10:14 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Fosters,

Well most of the people I know that do it professionally tend to use a basic text editor with syntax highlighting, one of the best around is Gel (IMHO)www.gexperts.com which has code completion and code templates and another popular choice is editplus. Obviously you dont get form designers but its a good starting point. To my mind Ive tried to get into Java for over 5 years but never did because the performance of the apps is appaling and the IDEs are even worse! Im a big Borland user and advocate but JBuilder because its written in Java runs like a dog.

Visual Cafe used to be the only native code IDE for java but that was along time ago. As for books yes Wrox are normally pretty good, I have a Java 2 certification study guide I got free from a course I did which is a good book as it has example tests for you to take the Java sun certified developer exam.

Good Luck!

Gary
Old 17 March 2003, 11:59 AM
super_si
Scooby Regular

Ive got loads information mike.

Ill catch you one night this week.

Si
Old 17 March 2003, 12:17 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Sun ONE Studio Community Edition is a free download you can find on the Java site, and once you've got your head around it is a pretty good IDE for Java/JSP/XML etc. Takes lots of resources though so you need a powerful box to not get frustrated with performance, particularly if you're running Tomcat or something on the same PC.

I tend to use Homesite which comes with Dreamweaver and is also a free 60-day download (longer if you know your registry well enough ). Homesite has the colour-coded syntax, templates etc but has the advantage of being a pretty lightweight app.

Because I'm crap at learning from books I took a weekend Java course with T++ to get me started.

Hope this helps.
G
Old 17 March 2003, 12:41 PM
michael_clarkson
Scooby Regular

Just download the latest JDK from java.sun.com 1.4.1_02 http://java.sun.com/getjava/download-windows.html

For a simple but powerful editor, my vote goes to Jedit, a open source editor which has a plugin architecture with lots of useful plugins.

http://www.jedit.org/

Old 17 March 2003, 12:51 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I used a program called BlueJ at university, Was very good.

To start off with
Algorithms and data structures

Si

[Edited by super_si - 3/17/2003 12:51:29 PM]
Old 17 March 2003, 04:27 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I've got a Syngress/Osborne book called Sun Certified Java Programmer for Java 2 which I learned from - can recommend it. In fact, I can flog you my copy for a bargain price if you like - email me.