Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

X Box going for repair.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2003, 10:28 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My X Box is going for repair, some of the games i have for it dont work, it throws up the message when i put a game in "X Box cannot read the disc, make sure the disc is not dirty or damaged"
( they arent either btw )

I have only had it since October last year

Yesterday i phoned technical support, they almost straight away said we need to collect it from you for repair. My usual experience of phoning technical support for a product is that they get you to check every single nut and bolt before they agree to collect it for repair.

What made it worse was i bought Wreckless on Saturday and i cant play it [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with their xbox?

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 March 2003, 11:14 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Mine does it rarly,but only with 1 game (Sega GT 2002), checked the cd, perfect - no marks on it at all
Old 17 March 2003, 11:21 AM
Pete_UK99
Scooby Regular

I know this sounds very stange but apparently if you boil the disk it shoud work. Don't ask me if this works because I've never tried it but I've heard of enough people who swear by it so I'm guessing it might actually work. To be honest I think I'd just go with the repair rather then risk breaking a lot of my games.
Old 17 March 2003, 11:41 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

It seems to not like in particular, Colin McRae 3 and Wreckless. Halo works fine everytime. Im pretty sure its not the games cos they worked fine when i first got them.
Also, it sometimes takes a spaz when playing DVD's, the picture sort of freezes then stutters then stops

I dont fancy tryin the boiling trick like u say i would rather go down the FREE repair route

Having said that i am quite prepared to give it a go once i have actually seen someone else boil one of thier games and it work afterwards
Old 17 March 2003, 12:04 PM
Jodster
Scooby Regular

Happened a few times with Bloodwake (probably because the game is so lame). Switched off, wiped disk, then it's ok.
Old 17 March 2003, 01:45 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Red face

Bloodwake
Wait, someone BOUGHT this???
You don't have Artic Thunder as well do you???
My mate's gutted, went on hols for a few days and left hsi house in charge of brother-in-law.
Came back and found a nice deep scratch down his halo cd. B-I-L denies all knowledge.
Strangely enough it still works in the multiplayer bit but won't load single player bits.
My work colleage has the same probs decribed on his version of Halo. Gets to the final mission then ti always comes up "Can load disc", and yet disc is fine (to the eye).
Old 17 March 2003, 03:04 PM
Rex Hunt
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had this last night trying to play a dvd (The bourne identity)
I took the dvd back to blockbuster and they gave me another still got that message so tryed one of my dvds that was fine so went back and exchanged it for the video.
Old 17 March 2003, 03:16 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, so does this mean that the X box is incabable of playing some games and DVD's?

I cant be doing with this every so often, i want it to either work or not work at all. Intermittent faults do my friggin head in. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I will have to see what its like when it comes back from 'repair'. If the fault still occurs on some games and DVD's its going back to the shop for a refund
Old 17 March 2003, 04:48 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Cool

That's what happens when they try and bundle too much into a console.
Look at the PS2, it had a delayed start due to major cooling issueds with the chip, just so they could have a faster chip than the Dreamc@st (R.I.P.), then bundled flakey DVD playback into it (I like the was I bought MI:2 and it had a big sticker on the front saying "This will play on a PS2!")
Xbox is the same. If you want quality DVD playback, buy a DVD player - they're quite cheap now (there's one from argos, Alba 108 £70, my other half has on and, to be honest, the only thing separating it from the quality of my £250 Sony player is my sony has 5.1 optical output).
Old 24 March 2003, 05:11 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Pinkeye,

Surely if its got DVD facility it should work?

Anyway..... i am still waiting for the ******* to pick it up [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

has anyone else had to send theirs back to x box for repair? they are a serious set of clowns it seems. I have been waiting 8 days for an empty box to put it in and send back to them.
Old 24 March 2003, 07:27 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it should work, but it's all down to the decoder.
Remeber the problems with eary dvd players and films like The Matrix and Theres Something About Mary where it couldn't decode the more compressed data?
Similar here, the PS2 decoder cannot play certain films (ie. one's encoded in a certain format).
My mate's *former* PS2 (he traded it in for an XBox) only played around 90% of his collection (40 titles+)

Sorry to hear they haven't picked it up yet, who's doing it? Microsoft?
Old 25 March 2003, 07:49 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

This is getting beyond my technical abilities when it comes to encoding n stuff

I'll shut up about it now

Yeah, I phoned them Sunday 15th March, they said the empty box will be sent out to my work address by Tuesday. Tuesday came, no box. I phoned them and they told me the courrier couldnt find the address and they had sent the box to the repair place empty
Phoned again yesterday, the empty box is with the courriers and could take up to 5 days to get to me

Why they cant find my work address i dont know, no one else seems to have any trouble whatsoever.

If it aint here by tomorrow theres going to be trouble
Old 25 March 2003, 10:16 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Well I purchased Sega GT last week and have had the same problem. I phoned them last Thursday and they instantly said new DVD drive. It was picked up Friday and it was delivered repaired today. WOW I would never have associated this customer service from Microsoft
Old 25 March 2003, 10:55 AM
CEL
Scooby Regular

ummmm, looks like its just me then [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I think another call to them is in order

did they pick it up from your house scoobydoo? i asked them to pick it up from work cos theres no one at home during the day.

This seems to totaly have thrown them off balance

something else that dont help at all is most of the people i speak to are foreign. I appreciate they are trying their best to help and understand me, but why the hell do they employ people with limited english skills for the UK customer services ?
Old 25 March 2003, 11:06 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Maybe I was lucky, yes it was picked up from home.
Old 25 March 2003, 01:43 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Red face

Hope you get it all sorted CEL, it's a shame you're had a bad time with the xbox.
Scooby Doo, did only Sega GT not work on yours? and did it give the error all the time? Mine has so far given the error 3 times in the ownership period of about 4 months.
Old 25 March 2003, 02:27 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

Sega GT was the only game I own from about 8 (plus loads of Demo disks) that has had the problem. It seems Microsoft changed the DVD drive after a certain time due to this read error. Thought it was better to be repaird free now than get stuffed in a year or so. I purchased my Xbox within the first month of release.