Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home network topology

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 08:35 AM
12LEE
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As my decorators have scaffolding on the front of our house I thought it'd be a good opportunity to start laying cable and I'd value some advice & opinions on a good topology.

3-storey house. Floorplan:

Cable modem and main office resides in the small bedroom at the rear of the property on the first floor.

I'm aiming to get the following qty of outlets per room:

Ground floor reception: 3
Kitchen: 2
Front bedroom (first floor): 2
Second floor bedroom: 2

WLAN doesn't work particularly well in the house. An AP in the small rear first floor bedroom barely provides coverage to the front first floor bedroom and virtually no coverage between floors.

I don't know whether to cable everywhere (with multiple inter-floor cables running at the front and back of the house) or simply provide sufficient inter-floor cabling to put an AP (maybe two) on each floor.

All ideas gratefully received!

L.
Old 18 March 2003, 09:16 AM
S55 HOT
Scooby Regular

Smile

Basically you should run cable from everywhere you want it (or might ever want it) back to a single point. There you can put a patch panel & connect anything to anything else.

I've run all mine to the loft as it was easiest, though somewhere like an under stairs cupboard is better as it is less dusty & more temperature stable.

If you can then you should run CAT5 cable & TV co-ax to several places in each room. I'm running everything in pairs - each CAT5 wall socket is a double one and so is each co-ax. The CAT5 can be used for network, phone or one day an alarm or anything else. One coax is used for TV picture distribution and the other is so that I can feed signals back to the distribution amp from anythere in the house - so Video plays everywhere, CCTV etc.

Think about what you need - then double it - if you are in any doubt - run extra cable - the cable is cheap, its the access that's expensive.

Al
Old 18 March 2003, 09:16 AM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Lee

Thats some major interference your getting if an AP can hardly provide coverage.

A single AP located centrally on your first floor would be capable on providing good coverage for your size of your home. If you did find out that a single AP couldn't provide enough coverage then some AP's can support wireless repeating which would allow you to extend your wireless coverage in a certain direction
Old 18 March 2003, 11:34 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've run all mine to the loft as it was easiest
Same here... Don't have understairs cupboard, but would go for that if you can get to it...