Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

A question from someone who really doesn't have a clue!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 03:29 PM
thecirsch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

As some of you on here might already know I don't know a thing about computers, nor how they work. I barely know how to switch the things on, but could someone please help me using words of one syllable or less!

Someone has sent me some photo's via an E-mail (on Hotmail). Simply, how do I transfer it onto my desk top?? Please take me through it step by step.

Your advice will make an old man very happy

Ed
Old 18 March 2003, 03:49 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Ed - If you can actually see the images on your screen, then just right-click the image and click Save Picture As. Point it to your desktop and hey presto.

If its a zip file or attachment then its slightly different.
Old 18 March 2003, 03:59 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Cool

It depends program that you are running to view your e-mail.

You probably have a number of icons attached to the e-mail itself (usually at the bottom)...these are representations of each picture.

If you single click the left hand mouse button on a picture (to highlight it), and then click the right hand mouse button, you should get a pop-up menu appearing. You should have an option that says "Save As..." or possibly "Save Target As.." or maybe even "detach". When you select one of these options, then you should get a standard dialog box displayed asking you where you want to store the image...and you can select your desktop from here

If there is no icon to represent the photos, then there will be a picture of something (probably a paperclip) visible once you have opened the mail. This is also used to represent the photo(s). It may be that a single click on the paperclip will take you into another screen that will say something like "download attachment". Take this option, and save the file to the desktop when prompted. Be aware that if the photos are large, they may take a long time to download

Good luck
SB
Old 19 March 2003, 10:28 PM
Chelsie-Bun
Scooby Regular

Wink

a friend of mine had that trouble with hotmail

we found that you could not save the photos in hot mail the right click dont work like in most places.
We put them on floppy in the end, if you find out i would like to know too.

chel xxxx
Old 20 March 2003, 02:14 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Right...'cus I was a bit bored I signed up for a hotmail account to try it out......

When you get the e-mail open it by clicking on the name of the sender.
In the address section (the blue one at the top) you'll see:
To:
Subject:
Date:
Attachment:<name of the photo that has been sent>

Place the cursor over the <name of the photo>, and click it.
This takes you into a new screen where the file is checked for viruses. If there are no viruses in it (which there wont be) you should see a "Download file" button.
Press this + select "Save this file to disk" and press OK
save to whichever location you want (Desktop?)

If you have signed up for the free e-mail service, then you have a limit of 2MB (I think) for your mailbox. If this is exceeded, then the photos get bounced back to the sender (with a "mailbox limit exceeded" message). Once you have saved your photos I would delete them from your mailbox to free up some space for the next ones (click the check box to the left of the mail, and press the "delete" button

Good luck

SB