Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Cheap GameCube anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 11:58 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Argos are selling them off ........

£78.99

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/commer...t?type=Product

Steve
Old 19 March 2003, 09:01 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Only until 1st April, then the price is back to usual.
Deal includes free game (from choice of 4) and a memory card.
Old 19 March 2003, 09:17 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

And to think I sold my Gamecube to Computer Exchange for £75 just over a month ago, Lucky I got rid of it when I did.

With Dixons and now Argos selling them off cheap would I be correct in thinking that the Gamecube is in deep trouble in this country?
Old 19 March 2003, 12:10 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Not really...
Argos are doing it as a deal to drum up support, look of it as the same as what Microsoft did with the XBOX over xmas - was that in deep trouble? No. Buy dropping the price or bundling games with it it makes the hardware (which is the main source of income - every console manufacturer makes a loss on hardware, from sony to sega to microsoft to Nintendo - it's the profits from software that makes ends meet, that why Sega abandoned the Dreamc@st as it wasn't makeing as much software profit to cover the manufacturing costs of the hardware) more attractable to consumers.
There are reports that because of the sale at PCWorld/Dixons that they are dropping the gamecube, well I spoke to a friend who works for PCWorld and he says it's the first he's heard, it's just a normal sale (like their 2 xbox games for £50 they did awhile back).
Even if they did, PCworld/Dixons sales only account for 10-15% of all uk sales, with shops like Game, HMV, Virgin, Argos/Index accounting for the majority.
Yes, it is marred by the lack of quality titles (you could go into the PCWorld sale that has all nintendo games £25 each, buy the top titles, and come back with change from £200), but the top games that are out there are top. The GC Zelda game pre-orders in the states are astonomical - it hit 250,000 preorders before they even gave the game a release date (source:IGN) AND broke preorder records for GTA:Vice City - the biggest selling game to date(source:Gameforms.com)
Old 19 March 2003, 03:25 PM
Shaolin
Scooby Regular

Admit it.....the game cube is going down.....thats why ive just sold mine.
Lack of games.....its shocking that it is so poorly supported, shame because some of the games are top quality, Resident evil, resident evil 0, monkey ball, star wars etc......
But its on its way out.....for sure.
Old 19 March 2003, 04:22 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would say that just yet....
What you fail to realise is in europe (can get thee figures for Japan/US) the Gamecube was launched 2 months after the xbox, and yet managed to outsell the xbox right up until the xmas period, when Microsoft introduced the 2 free games and £159.99 price package.
Nintendo failed to respond to this by doing a similar bundle/price drop as it was already a cheaper console, but failed to realise that the consumers like to get games/accessories bundled with their console - there's nothing more annoying than buying a brand new console and having to then buy a game to play on it.
Now that Nintendo have introduced a free game with the cube (limited time only), and places like Game, Virgin, and Argos doing competitivly priced packages then it might be able to claw back it's second position in the console market it held until 4 months ago.
Old 19 March 2003, 04:24 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Main reason I sold mine is because I bought a new PC and realised what I was missing. After playing MOHAA Spearhead over the Internet playing Mario Sunshine suddenly seems a bit tame....

You are correct about lack of games support as well, I got mine on the day they came out and bought Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Squadron. There were no other games I wanted for it until Resident Evil and Mario Sunshine came out for it 6 months later...

Sold the whole lot to Computer Exchange about 6 weeks ago and got about £130 which I was very pleased about.

Never going to buy a console ever again as PC games are just so much better. Amazing how poor a playstation 2 looks after you are used to playing games at 1024 by 768 resolution

Trending Topics

Old 19 March 2003, 04:37 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have 10 games for my Cube and 10 games for my xbox,
never paid full price for any game (always 2nd hand or trade-in's)
Of my gamecube games I count Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil Rebirth and 0, Timesplitters 2, Super Smash Brother Melee, Medal Of Honour Frontline (just!) and Mario Party 4 as quality games. Starfox adventures just misses out due to the nature of gameplay being too infant like and simple.
Fzero and Mario Kart is out this year, and I've already said about Zelda - oh, did I mention Zelda comes with a second disk featuring the Ocrina of Time ported from the N64, and a small mini zelda adventure game?
To be honest, the N64 never had much quality titles but that sold in it's droves. I remember late night sessions of Banjo Kazooe, Mario 64, Goldeneye, F-zero, and Mario kart.
Plus I have the 6" LCD screen and battery pack for my GC, making it portable - very useful for holidays or boring family do's

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 19/03/2003 16:39:10]
Old 19 March 2003, 04:47 PM
King RA
BANNED

I never would have bought a cube, but for £80 I snapped one up right away. Every Argos near me was out of stock and goes to show everyone likes a bragain. Good work Argos!
Old 19 March 2003, 06:43 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Think we are missing the point here. Of course the PC will win hands down over every console. It has some top games. Am reliving Hidden and Dangerous Deluxe edition which is truely brilliant without all the bugs in it.

But for sheer enjoyment factor you can't beat the gamecube. Like Pinkeye I am building up a collection of games(2nd hand). Can get these for as little as 15-20 pounds. Have always loved nintendo games and can't wait for Mario Kart.

Recommended games- Starfox, Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil and the new O series, Luigi Manshion, Monkey Ball, Smash Bros.

The gamecube is far from dead.

[Edited by Popeye P1 - 3/19/2003 6:43:32 PM]
Old 19 March 2003, 08:45 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Super Monkey ball is schweet!
I like money target the best.
I find money golf ok until you get to the back 9, then it gets real hard
SMB 2 looks even better with more mini games.