Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ISDN setup...

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2003, 06:33 PM
BillyWhizz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

trying to set up an ISDN router and as far as I can tell all the settings are right...DHCP, DNS, Gateway, IP addresses configured, but it still connect when you open IE...
only thing I can think of is the dial up account properties are wrong....

any suggestions, have spoken to BT lots.
Old 28 March 2003, 07:21 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

put down what setting you have got in there. I would scrap the DHCP and configure it manually. DHCP is only really usefull when your looking at over 100 different boxen IMHO.

Then we can run through some routine check and find out where the error is.
Old 28 March 2003, 07:25 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

Just a uick thought......if you are running DHCP is your network connection setting configured to use it?

If you enter your own IP address and tell your router to use DHCP you will get conflicts
Old 29 March 2003, 03:29 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

What is your homepage set to in IE ?

If it is a web page like www.google.co.uk, when IE starts up, it tries to retrieve the page and uses DNS to look up the address - prompting the dial-out.

If you don't want IE to dial out on launching, set your home page to be a local one with an address like C:\homepage.htm.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 29 March 2003, 09:30 PM
BillyWhizz
Scooby Regular

have got a 2k server set up with DHCP and DNS, have disabled the DHCP and DNS on the router, but kept the gateway as the address of the router. Thinking maybe I should set it the other way round so the router acts as the DHCP and DNS.....ardunno, I just guessing.

is only a small network of 4 pooters.
Old 29 March 2003, 11:34 PM
Gedi
Scooby Regular

hmm, i'm just trying to imagine exactly what you mean.
You can't disable the DNS, its required for domain name lookups.
The way you have worded it, it sounds as if you are running a DNS server yourself....I'm a little lost. Here is a senario you should be aiming for.

your router will be your WAN gateway. We'll assume that your routers LAN address is 192.168.0.1

If you still want to use DHCP configure your router to use this facility and configure your machines to obtain IP addresses automatically. You can then also tell your windows machines to obtain the DNS server address automatically. Everything should run fine now.

If you want to give each of your machines their own IP addresses -(I find this to be much better as they are then static and not prone to change if you ever switch off your router. This is usefull if you are running services that require port forwarding)- Then allocate them their addresses e.g. 192.168.0.2, 192.168.0.3 etc... and set up your DNS server address to be that of your LAN gateway.....i.e. 192.168.0.1

Apply the following to your network and retry......if its still not picking up a connection, we'll dig in a little deeper. There are plenty more things to check for.....i'm just assuming everything else is as default so far.
Old 30 March 2003, 09:11 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Start with the basics then move on.

do you know the IP address of the router ?
Has your PC received an IP address from DHCP - use winipcg (95/98) or ipconfig (NT/2K) to check.

Are they on the same subnet ?

Can you "ping" the router from the PC using its IP address ?

Can you "ping" a server on the Internet by IP address ? e.g. ping 217.79.111.23 (which is scoobynet)

Can you ping by DNS name e.g. www.scoobynet.co.uk ?

Can you browse by IP address "http://217.79.111.23/bbs" or by DNS name http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs" ?

Deano

Old 30 March 2003, 09:02 PM
BillyWhizz
Scooby Regular

Talking

D Smith, all those are things i have tried and checked as routine and all seems fine.

will try the other as suggested, and will let you know how i progress.

could you possibly E mail any suggestions to billywhizz71@hotmail.com as i may "lose" this post in the deepest darkest depths of scoobynet before i have managed to get back to it!!!

cheers chaps
Old 30 March 2003, 10:33 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

DO you mean the router connects when you open IE - or it doesn't connect at all ?

Deano

btw - add yourself to your own VIP list - means you can find your own threads quickly when they slip off page1
Old 04 April 2003, 08:49 PM
BillyWhizz
Scooby Regular

Angry

it would help if the company I'm trying to set it up for had actually opened an account with BT so I had a username and password to use. very organised....NOT!!!!

cheers again chaps