Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Setting up internet connection on Linux

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2003, 11:31 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all! Anyone know a bit about Linux?

I'm new to Linux and have just installed Redhat 8.0.

I can't seem to get an internet connection to work. I set it up and clicking on Activate it just hangs. Then after closing it says that it is Active but I can't get onto the net using mozilla or Evolution.

I also get a login error (localhost.localdomain error about no connection)?? This didn't come up until recently & I cannae get rid of it. I guess this is related to the above problem.

The Connection wizard also cannot probe/find my modem so I have to set up manually using the values it defaults to.

The PC is a Packerd Bell 1.5GHZ P4, 256MB RAM with Aztech V92 CNR modem. ISP is Freeserve (works OK when I use Windows XP).

Anyone help please?

Many thanks in advance
Old 11 April 2003, 10:57 AM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

cnr modem won't work.

you need either an isa modem (proper old fashioned hardware modem,) you need an isa slot on your motherboard for this, not very common on modern boards. Or you can use a lucent chipset based modem and download the driver and patches and install them. I think the Zoom Hayes ones have this chipset.

Alternatively, get an external modem that is compatible, I believe the US robotics ones work OK, but check out some of the linux websites to get exact details of make and models that work OK. Expect to pay at least £50 for one of these.

Check the linux websites before you decide or you could end up buying another modem that does not work.
Old 12 April 2003, 10:33 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's a Smart Link Aztech CNR V92 modem IIRC. A Linux site says it should be able to work but will need some fiddling. If that doesn't work then I MAY get a new modem if they're cheap enough asI can always go into Windoze to access the net/e-mails etc.

Thanks for the response btw
Old 13 April 2003, 01:24 AM
lippy
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

no problem, glad to help I assume you have looked here

Hardware Compatability List
Old 04 November 2003, 01:24 AM
lippy
Scooby Regular

Linux is very fussy about modems you need to make sure the modem is 100% hardware and not software (i.e. win modems, most oem internal modems) linux will auto detect hardware modems if it can not then it is almost safe to say you will not be able to use it in linux.

hope this helps I'm not a linux guru but did type this using Mozilla Suse Linux 8,4

edited to say cnr modems are not 100% hardware

[Edited by lippy - 4/11/2003 1:27:26 AM]