Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

email account

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2003, 06:15 PM
stevey boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I have just switched from ntl dial up to ntl broadband and they have give me a new email address , the question i ask is can i get that address back. i can still receive email using my old address but when i go to send anything by it the connecting to dial up screen appers and i am unable to send email

thanks in advance
Old 25 April 2003, 10:30 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Firstly, when you upgrade from NTL dial to Broadband your email address should travel with you, and as you can still receive mail, this must have happened.

Assuming you use Outlook Express, Click Tools > Options > Connection. Click the change button, and about halfway down are three radio buttons. Make sure it is set to Never dial a connection.
If you make changes, click OK until you get back to the main OE page, now click Tools > Accounts, highlight the email address you use and click Properties. Open the connection tab and make sure there is a tick against "always connect to this account using", and choose "Local Area Network" from the dropdown list.

Save the changes, you should now be sorted.

thanks in advance
Old 26 April 2003, 05:12 AM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Potentialy, with dial up and and broadband being 2 completely different beasts, somebody else already on Broadband may have chosen your dial up e-mail address if you catch my drift.

same thing happened to me with BT went from Dial Up to Broadband, and hey presto, had to have a new address as my original had been taken! (But then again, i was dealing with the muppets at BT!!!!!)

Hoe you get it sorted!

Cheers

Micky
Old 26 April 2003, 07:04 AM
Dude!
Scooby Regular

This will not happen - same servers same email addresses your connected to the NTL network and that is all that matters.

If you want to use your old addess and are worried you might "lose it" then just call tech support and they will move it over to your BB account for ya
Old 26 April 2003, 09:52 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Agree with Dude! I moved from D/U to BB and just continued with the old address after reconfiguring the way the account connected as described in my first reply. All email addresses are unique, no-one else can register one that is already taken, no matter what the server name is.
Old 26 April 2003, 02:52 PM
stevey boy
Scooby Regular

Thanks fig got it sorted now
Old 26 April 2003, 03:06 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular