Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Home Network Install Advice

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2003, 09:30 AM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

In the new year i am having a new house built, and as its a brand new build, i am planning to install a full Home network around the house, so i can have a PC in any room if i choose, ie one for me and one for the daughter when she get older and be able to use a laptop in the living room if i choose, all sharing a broadband connection and maybe a central server for sharing files / music etc..

can anyone advise on what i will need / options etc.. or point me to a place on the net when i can a a little research on the subject

thanx in advance

Phil G
Old 27 April 2003, 10:19 AM
RB5-Black
Scooby Regular

I've been looking into this for a while now for use with my pc and Xbox. I didn't want to run cables round the house so I've gone for the wireless option
I've just moved into a new ( Timber kit House ) house so the signal strength isn't going to be a problem.

If your running the cables before the house is finished then it would be a lot cheaper than wireless but it's not an option I have.
From what I know you'll need a Router from your main PC to use the BB on another PC. XP pro will be a must as I think XP only allows one other computer on a network.

hope that helps a little
Craig.
Old 27 April 2003, 10:55 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Phil

First off you need to make few decisions....

Network. Wired or wireless ? Wired is cheaper and faster, wireless is obviously more convenient. Most people probably end with a mixture of the 2. Wired for fixed PCs and wireless for Laptop/pdas convenience.

If you're building from scratch its very easy to add loads of cable to allow for networking (and much more besides). The usual scheme is to decide on a location in the house and then have all your cables bought back to that single point. You can then co-locate a server, broadband access etc there. If you wire throughout with Cat5 you can use any cable for Network or Phone and much more besides.

Are you considering any sort of Home automation ? During a new build would be the ideal time to add any lighting control systesm (c-bus/lutron etc). Many of these need low voltage control wires (Cat 5 again) to wall switches so are hard to retrofit afterwards.

I have recently been retrofitting seom X10 lights to my house. Not as ice as the better systems but easier to fit after the event as the control is vai the mains itself. Also added Cat5 for phone/pcs as I do each room and central Aerial distribution.

There really is a wealth of scope is you have the luxury of doing cabling up front. Cable is so cheap when you can add it before the walls go on .

Links...

Broadbandbuyer for Networking kit
UK Home Automation Portal for all things HA. Some article on cat 5 wiring your house and plenty of ideas for other things you can do. Links section is excellent for seeing how other people have done it (p.s. some people have taken it to extremes)
TLC Direct who I used for Cat5 cabling stuff
http://www.eatworms.org.uk/ha - my own site which is starting to detail what I've done.

If you want more info etc PM me on CSHQ or e-mail

Deano

[Edited by dsmith - 4/27/2003 10:56:55 AM]