Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Fitting a New HDD in place of my Current One??

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2003, 10:24 AM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hope someone can help, I'm sure this is quite straight forward.

I fitted a new bigger HDD a couple of months ago, leaving the original smaller one in place as the master with the new one set as a slave, at the time of fitting I formatted the new drive with 1 partition and have used it for storage etc with no problems to date.
I now want to take the smaller one out to put into another machine, no problem I thought, however my PC doesn’t seem to want to boot from the new HDD, I thought that I had done everything I needed to but must have missed something out, hope someone can help.

So far I have done the following :
1) Right clicked on my D: drive (the new one) format, copy system
files.
2) Copied all files from my C: drive (the old one) to the D: drive
excluding the windows directory & taking care to ensure I had
all hidden & system files etc.
3) Created a windows directory in my D: drive and copied all the
files from the C: drive with the exception of the win386.swp
file.

At this point I disconnected my C: drive, set the jumpers on the D: to master and attempted to boot my machine.
I received the message “Operating System Not Found”, so I rebooted with my start up floppy, typed FDISK, discovered there was no active partitions, so set the partition to active and thought that would be the problem solved.
However when I try to boot my machine it doesn’t start windows, having gone through and detected everything it just ends up on a black screen with a blinking cursor and gets no further, the OS is 98se if that matters.

I’m hoping this is something basic that I’ve not done/done so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old 04 May 2003, 01:32 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ok, try this...

make a bootable floppy from windows 98se (c:\>format a:/s/q). then copy the file sys.com in c:\windows\command to floppy.

on your new PC (with the bigger HDD), boot it up with the floppy and type a:\>sys c:
Old 10 May 2003, 07:08 PM
Scotch Steve
Scooby Regular

Suba,

Sorry not been on line for a while.
I tried this and everything is working fine now from my new HDD thanks.

All programs launch and work fine, only one problem, my MS Money 2000 won't launch, all the program files are there but it won't launch the program. When I connect up my old disc as the primary disc it works okay, but otherwise won't launch.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Steve