Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Big problems with 54g notebook adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2003, 08:55 AM
Diandave
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Linksys Wireless 54g notebook adaptor does not work with XP.
Bought the linksys WPC54G wireless PC card for my Compaq Evo N1015v(AMD Athlon) running Windows XP with Service Pack 1a. Tried to install the Card as per instructions that came in the box, locks up my laptop everytime. The instructions tell to you turn off your laptop, insert the card, and XP should find new hardware. XP does find the Card and prompts you to insert the CD-ROM that has the drivers on it. It starts to copy over the drivers and then hangs. The only way to unfreeze your laptop is to pop the card out. If you reboot your laptop with the card in, it will sometimes hang at the initial windows screen (again, you will need to pop the card out to continue). I tried removing the drivers and installing from the CD-ROM instead, same problem. Every time you pop the card in, after you've installed the drivers, the laptop will hang (actually, the laptop is running - but the CPU usage is at 100% so everything is at a crawl). I also downloaded the latest drivers from the linksys website and searched the Compaq website for help. In addition I called the linksys help line and they said they never heard of this - but I've been seeing alot of similiar reviews for this card. If you are in the same situation, I suggest you try another card. Linksys obviously doesn't work with all laptops.

Any advice. Which is the best 54g adaptor????

[Edited by Diandave - 5/5/2003 12:15:35 PM]