Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wndows XP Home and Wordperfect Question

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2003, 02:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Now have new PC with XP Home. Can I transfer old DOS based Wordperfect (5.1) into system or will this cause problems? Don't want to get off on the wrong foot. Any advice welcome. Thanks, David
Old 06 May 2003, 03:23 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

David it might work. Although WP5.1 was an older application, XP Pro has an emulation mode which allows older applications to work with much trouble.

Why do you need wordperfect? Is it because it the package you alway used or because you have older documents in wordperfect format?

Phil
Old 06 May 2003, 04:03 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks, Phil. I have a lot of old WP stuff that I use as the base format for my business and update as and when, and so want to move over onto XP machine. Sad I know but I do like working with WP and I have used it for so long and switching the documents into Word, for example, never ends up quite the same format. What I don't want to do is try it and find out that I have messed up the XP files. David
Old 08 May 2003, 10:36 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

David there's no reason why installing WP5.1 on XP will affect you XP files. After re-reading you message you say you are running XP Home, IIRC the home edition doesn't have the emulator that allows older DOS progs to run hapily - XP Pro definately has it.

Sometimes you just have to accept change and move on... I'm sure these new fangled motor cars will never catch on!!

Phil