Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Zelda WindWaker - first thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2003, 09:20 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just received my limited edition pack at the weekend and set about playing it.

Have to say this is one of the most beautiful video games ever crafted. Simply stunning. And like before, they set impossibly high standards that the competition has to follow.

I've just got to Dragon Island and was blown away(!) by the particle and wind effects. Don't think I seen that done anywhere before ?

-DV
Old 06 May 2003, 09:34 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

But isn't it cartoon style? I've just bought Resident Evil 0 for a tenner at our local SWAP Shop. Can't beat those games.

Will get Zelda hopefully.
Old 06 May 2003, 09:38 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Yeah, thats part of the charm - kind cell shaded cartoony look. Really lovely, and the animation is Disney quality.

I'm bored with Resident Evil stuff - finished them all, but haven't picked up the new one yet.

-DV
Old 06 May 2003, 10:47 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Daz,

I totally agree, it's just like being in control of a cartoon.

Definitely Nintendo's best Zelda game to date.

Den
Old 06 May 2003, 11:32 PM
Thommo
Scooby Regular

Stunning game,graphically and gameplay wise, just got one more shard of triforce to find and then get to fight Ganondorf I think, although from what my mate says there is still loads to do after that!!!!

Definately trickier puzzles in this one than ones before.

Enjoying every minute of it
Old 07 May 2003, 12:30 AM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Looks and sounds really nice, and a good storyline to boot. However, I think it is a bit easy. I've already got all of the pearls, battled sea monsters, found treasure, etc, done sub-quests, and am now working my way up the tower of the gods. Really enjoying it though...

Old 07 May 2003, 09:31 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The game is amazing.
I'd never played a zelda game (ocarina of time only briefly) until Windwaker, and it is very addictive.
It may look cartoony, but that enhances the gameplay, allowing much better (and funnier) facial expressions from characters.

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2003, 12:01 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There's a review of Wind Waker on the BBC News website - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...ws/2983155.stm
Old 08 May 2003, 07:34 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Red face

I sooooo wanna buy this but am putting it off as I have a lot of studying/coursework to do.
Will treat myself to a copy once i come off for the summer holidays

Zelda was the sole reason for buying a GC
Old 08 May 2003, 07:54 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Heh, I remember being in the same situation while I did my degree. The game in question that time was Gran Turismo 2 - you can imagine how bad that was!

Remember coming out of my last exam, driving home, stopping off at Blockbusters to pick it up and settling in for a long nights play!

-DV
Old 08 May 2003, 08:52 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

but am putting it off
Don't put it off too long and miss out on the limited edition set...

Den
Old 09 May 2003, 09:42 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

300,000 copies sold across europe in it's first weekend (bearing in mind it was released on the saturday) - speaks volumes for itself.
Plus the combo pack of a Platinum Cube and Zelda has helped to triple sales across europe of the cube - good news for Nintendo (and really stick in to Dixons group for dropping them.

I keep find myself flipping between Winwaker and Ocarina, one night on one, next night on other...etc

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 5/9/2003 9:46:43 AM]
Old 09 May 2003, 10:43 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

2 diferent games, but I'd say buy Zelda

Metroid prime is very much a FPS game, but not in quite the same style as Quake or Unreal or BF1942, it's more of an explorer game, with combat elements built in (like having to scan enemys you never encountered before to find weak spots).

Resident Evil Zero, if you're played the other RE Games, follows the same style of play, with the addition of being able to control 2 characters at the same time on screen (left A-Pad for one, C-Stick for other). It follows the events of the say before the first game and the events of Alpha Team (I think it was Alpha, get them confused now). Graphically it's jawdropping and the scares are very good (especially at night with a dolby digial decoder pumping the prologic signal around the room )

I have both, but if I had to choose it would depend on preferences, for instance I have loads of FPS games (Halo on the Xbox, 007 Nightfire, MOH, Turok on the Cube, too many to name on the PC), so I'd lead toward the RE:0 game, but Metroid is fresh and very pleasing on the eye graphically.
Old 09 May 2003, 10:57 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Cheers - I'm looking at getting another Cube game as I don't have many.

Mario Golf and Tennis I KNOW will be great, but they won't be out for a while.

Oh, and if any remembers a classic on the N64 called PilotWings, its coming out shortly too - written by the people that did XWING: Rogue Squadron, so it'll look great.

-DV
Old 09 May 2003, 01:20 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

Have to go with that one. loads of crap on Playstation 2 and Xbox. Nintendo prefer quality than quantity. so far most of the releases have been decent. Lets hope it stays.

BTW is Eternal Darkness any good?
Old 09 May 2003, 01:30 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Eternal Darkness is ok - bit like Resident Evil set in a creepy mansion which harbours a dark secret, etc...

I finished it in a month, took it back and got Mario Sunshine.
Old 09 May 2003, 04:43 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

Eternal Darkness is very well made and quite addictive, so addictive I completed it in 10 hours gameplay (about 2 weeks real time).
Shame it's so short, as it's a fun game to play.
I wouldn't pay more than £20 for it preowned - don't but it retail full price, I traded mine in and they only gave me £5 trade in as there is a "price reduction/sale going on with that game in"
I loved the sanity effects, where it will just give you a BlueScreenOfDeath now and again, or suddenly you're guys arms will drop off, or the you find yourself walking on the ceiling.

Old 11 May 2003, 08:47 AM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Personally I think it's better than OOT, but as you get both in the limited edition pack, that's not really an issue.

It's definitely worth buying a GC and Wind Waker if you liked the previous Zelda games, it's the series evolved really.

Den
Old 12 May 2003, 09:40 AM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

If you get the limted platinum editon GC Zelda pak you get an Ocarina of Time and Ocarina of Time Master Quest cd that had these games converted from the N64 so you can relive them
It's a good deal, however I'd look around for better bundles to get better value for money.
Toys R Us (You'd think they'd give me royalties the amount of time I spend plugging them) do the best deals, no specific zelda deals but you can get a Cube and 4 games for £150 (and buy zelda separatly). Look round Game, Virgin, and other high street stores, you may find extras like Memory card (essential) bundled free and such like.
As for the game, many people say it's not as good as Ocarina, but not far off. I haven't played enough of both to judge (Never played Ocarina until I got it with Windwaker). it is very engrossing and the cartoon graphics, although child-like, do not put you off, in fact it's the many, many, facial expressions of link that's one of the things that make the game.

Old 05 September 2003, 10:34 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Question: Metroid Prime or Resident Evil Zero ?

[Edited by DazV - 5/9/2003 10:54:54 AM]
Old 05 September 2003, 12:43 PM
PiNkEyE69
Scooby Regular

If I remember rightly there wasn't much plot to Pilot wings, other than flying hrough some hoops.
So far Q4 this year is looking good for nintendo, Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, F-Zero and PN.03 all due for release, and lets not forget Soul Calibur II, Wario World, Skies of Arcadia Legends(ported from the old Dreamcast and tidyed up - cross Zelda with Final Fantasy and you'll get the idea) and Final Fantasty Crystal Chronicles due in the next few months there's some top titles this year.
As Nintendo says, we prefer quality to quantity.

[Edited by PiNkEyE69 - 5/9/2003 12:44:03 PM]
Old 05 October 2003, 06:49 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Saw this game today and very nearly bought it together with limited edition GC. I've got the previous Zeldas on N64. Ocarina of Time is the most amazing game ever.
So how does Windwaker compare?
Total cost for Game Cube and Zelda was £130 BTW.
Should I get it tomorrow?

Nick

[Edited by skoobidude - 5/10/2003 6:50:06 PM]