Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

locked but not out ;)

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2003, 12:06 PM
the_outsider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Ok thank you for pointing it out but why lock it?
Just because someone is not aware that to use the software they own on two computers would be in breach of the licensing agreement. It does not mean that they would of wanted to get into a long debate about it? power crazed springs to mind. At least you should of given me the opertunity to thank you for pointing out that it would of been illegal some people
But now all you have done is taken the:

I think you know it is wrong and I am not going to give you the opertunity to thank me for pointing this out to you.

Some people seem to judge others by their own standards on here

Is this the point where my thread gets moved and the PC police start going tut tut tut.

I use to like Scoobynet but now you can not fart with out getting told off by the class prefects.

Scoobynet is in danger of alienating its original member base. The sad thing is that the people that are doing it just dont seem to care what affect it is having on the board. Give it time and this forum will go the same way as other car related forums have done in the past when they have got to full of themselves and start to dictate how it is going to be.
Old 21 May 2003, 12:58 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Cool

lol, looks like someone's been upset
Old 21 May 2003, 01:04 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Oooo !!

Anyway, read the licence. It is all in there.

Cheers

Ian
Old 21 May 2003, 01:43 PM
the_outsider
Scooby Regular

I dont buy software that often to tell the truth, this does not mean that I use pirate stuff just I do not have a need for more and more software. So maybe one of you good people can tell me if I was to go out and buy a copy of xp or update xp, would I be able to use it on more than one computer?

Or do I have to buy a copy for each and every computer I own?
I am not upset just confused at the reasons for just automatically locking my other thread with the question in, what I was asking might of not been permitted by microsoft but it does not mean that I was going to go ahead and do it once informed of this fact and to just lock the thread seems an absurd over reaction.
Old 21 May 2003, 01:54 PM
ChrisB

Apologies if you wanted to reply or weren’t aware of the licensing terms XP comes with. I was about to leave the office for a site visit so was in something of a hurry when I posted and locked your thread.

To answer the upgrading question...

If you have Windows 98 Second Edition, you can upgrade straight to XP. In theory, you won’t have to re-install any applications or lose any files. I would advise you to backup any important work before trying to upgrade though.

However, if your existing version of Windows is unstable, then the upgrade may well suffer the same problems. I’d consider doing a fresh build of Windows XP.

Chris.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:00 PM
the_outsider
Scooby Regular

OK Chris thanks for your informative reply, not your fault that I had not read the end licence agreement as they are usually a great cure for insomnia.

Thanks for explaining my other options.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:03 PM
ChrisB

I don't think many people do read the licensing agreement, so you're not alone. As an IT bod, I get used to the standard terms so sorry about the misunderstanding

Chris.
Old 21 May 2003, 02:04 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

I thought you were allowed to install onto a laptop aswell with the same licence, though I may have misunderstood what I was being told.
Old 21 May 2003, 05:16 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Wink

License ???? I just click on "next", oooooooops
As an IT supportist , thats a terrible attitude.
It probably depends who sells the software and what it is;
wether you can install on more than one pc.
frinstance some software is licensed by a hardware dongle that plugs into the parallel port. Install it on as many pc's as u like, but it only works on the one with the dongle.
As a home user i dont think i'd lose 2 much sleep.
After all u can only use one pc at a time cant you