Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wiring phone line for ADSL

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2003, 04:24 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have just had Broadband turned on at home and am having trouble getting connected. The phone socket it is plugged into I wired myself and only connected 2 of the wires from the BT cable coming into the house into the socket. This worked fine for making voice calls but does anyone know if you need more of the wires connected to be able to use Broadband?
Old 21 May 2003, 04:30 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

This may help . . .

It states:

Usually, your house will have four wires (two twisted copper pairs) coming into the master socket from outside. Only one pair is required to provide a single telephone line. The second pair is there to provide a second phone line if you need one. At the master socket, the two wires for your first telephone line is converted into three wires, and it is important that all extension sockets are connected with all three wires otherwise your telephones won't ring correctly.

Extension Sockets

Most people do not have only one telephone socket and extension sockets are used to provide access to telephone services in other parts of the house. These extension sockets are wired from the master socket and as mentioned above, it is important that all three wires are connected. (Usually four wires will be connected but the fourth wire plays no active role).

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 5/21/2003 4:33:10 PM]
Old 21 May 2003, 04:48 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Could I have wired the socket in such a way that allowed me to use a normal phone with no problems, but when ADSL was switched on blew all my phone sockets in the house so now nothing works?