Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Unsolicited E-mails

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2003, 12:04 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Twicw this week i've had 2 unsolicited E-mails with no headings but the mail has references with links of.... how i can i say it... a sexual nature. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Don't know how this has happened and am a bit pi55ed off to say the least cause i don't know how to stop it coming in and i'm not prepared to click on the links to A see what it is and B try and find out how to.. "unsubscribe" [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Can anyone help me stop these mails from coming in using Outlook Express?

In the past when i've had a mail from people i can't be arsed with corresponding with, i put a block on them, but that only stops the mail from going into your in-box and goes straight to deleted items, but i'd like to not have any of this sh7t at all. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Please help

Old 24 May 2003, 12:48 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Maddog

Welcome to the world of Spam! It's possible that your email address was picked up from another website, or it could be random. Spammers will have programs to create random names - produce enough of them and they will eventually hit someones account.

**Don't** hit the unsubscribe button. As soon as you do that, the spammers will know that yours is a legitmate email address and you'll soon be receiving a lot more than 2 spam emails!

I would suggest that you use one of the commercially available spam blockers. We use McAfee Spamkiller - it will cost you about £25. There are free versions available too - do a search on Google, but we've found Spamkiller to be pretty effective once you have it setup properly.

Chris
Old 24 May 2003, 02:43 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Glad you like it Chris. Here's a link to the UK site http://uk.mcafee.com
Old 24 May 2003, 03:14 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

If you want to report the matter, head off the the Internet Watch Foundation.
Old 24 May 2003, 03:38 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Good news is that AOL are in the process of suiing those involved which will hopefully set a legal precedent.

Afterwards, other ISPs should hopefully follow suit.
Old 24 May 2003, 06:30 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys

This is most disconcerting and to say the least annoying [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] cause it makes it look like this or these places have been frequented by myself.

I was thinking this afternoon about dropping a mail back to the sender ( which is a yahoo.com E-mail address requesting "unsubscribing", but was concerned that nothing would be done about it and may as has been said, instigate further E-mails.

I don't know what the images are and am not interested to find out but with all the police interest in people visiting sites such as those that have mailed me, what is the state of play since in effect this company has deemed me to be a subscriber to their site?

Thanks again

Old 24 May 2003, 08:12 PM
ChrisB

Just to build on Chris's comments, don't hit unsubscribe or reply to the mail. You'll just end up with even more junk and offensive messages as the senders know they have a live address to bombard.

I've got a Hotmail e-mail account. I'm the only person that know's of it existance and it still gets spammed
Old 24 May 2003, 08:14 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hmmm... i'm not that hot with computers but had a look at some of the sites linked to those that have been shown on this thread and i'm wondering about using McAfee since i use Symantic on this PC. Would they be compatible?

Tried to search for more info on Symantic site for a solution but to be honest i'm hopeless at this kind of thing.

With blocking the incoming mails i have a problem in that there is nothing in the "from" line and nothing in the "To" line as well as no mail heading, so can't give specific words to allow Outlook Express to deal, of a fashion, with the mails.

I see from the limited searching i have done for some "free" spam filtering software that they are normally only on a 30 day trial or require regular monthly payments to maintain the facility, but am a bit loathe to spend monthly to stop something i shouldn't need in the first place!! If that makes sense!

Can anyone help me with a link to a site which can provide software, free, without the limitations of trials or continued payments or is this not possible?

Sorry for being so thick but as far as PC's and internet are concerned, i'm not... "streetwise"

Thanks
Old 24 May 2003, 08:56 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Maddog

You're right - it does p*ss me off that I pay for something to stop crap I shouldn't be receiving in the first place - but that's life on the Internet I shouldn't have to worry about virus threats - but I do and I use a good AV program to protect myself (McAfee again). As regards working with Symantec - there shouldn't be a problem as both programs are totally separate. Spamkiller isn't an anti virus program so I can't see that it will cause a problem with Symantec.

Not sure of sites that offer free spamkillers - but a quick search on Google should reveal a few!

Sal treats it as a sport and actually likes tracking down and blocking the spammers! It doesn't take long to block most spam.

And don't bother emailing the Yahoo address it will almost certainly be fake.

Cheers
Chris
Old 25 May 2003, 12:36 AM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris

Good advice.

I'll go to the McAfee site later and check it out.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
Old 25 May 2003, 12:54 AM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Using Microsoft Outlook Click on Tools and organise, select the spam create a rule - delete and no more worries..........
Old 25 May 2003, 11:15 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
I use www.mailwasher.net

alan
Old 26 May 2003, 11:26 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Check out the AntiSpam Thread in NSR - it's there so that non-computer people can get an idea of how to deal with the problem without having to venture into Computer-Related.

Lots of good tips.
Old 26 May 2003, 11:34 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Can anyone help me with a link to a site which can provide software, free, without the limitations of trials or continued payments or is this not possible?
Check out my post on the second page of the thread mentioned above - it's got a link to the free, non-trial version of SpamNet.
Old 26 May 2003, 01:44 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Thanks Mark

Downloading Spamnet just now but states it's a 30 day trial?
Old 26 May 2003, 02:04 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't download from the main page - that's the 30-day trial. The version that's not limited is the beta, which you can still download from the FAQ page (see page 2 in the other thread). The faq claims that beta users will be able to continue using the beta without paying the subscription ad infinitum.

Unfortunately, though, I've a feeling that they may have shot 'emselves in the foot - the spamnet community will probably evaporate if everyone has to start paying 4 quid a month or whatever. Spam is annoying, but it ain't that annoying!