Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sharing applications

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2003, 11:37 AM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We have a copy of Sage Personnel (Single user version) that 2 users need access to. To keep the database current I want to install it in a central location.

My thoughts were that it may be possible to install the software on server (in this case a Win 2K Pro box) and create a shortcut to the .exe on the users desktops.

Am I talking rubbish? Would this work?

Thanks

Roger
Old 29 July 2003, 11:41 AM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use VNC or terminal services perhaps? It may be against your license agreement though, better check.
Old 29 July 2003, 11:46 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The theory is sound, but it depends on the application. I know the older Sage products wouldn't accept remote drive letters for installations.

Create a shared folder on the server and install (or copy) the software to that. Map a drive letter from a PC and try to run the software from the drive mapping.

If that works, try from another PC.

If it doesn't then you may need to have some of the program files installed on each of the PC's and just point the data directories to the shared drive mapping.

Watch for permissions for the two users and take backups to make sure there's no data corruption when running across the network.

I used to work for a Sage reseller a few years back and these were just some of the steps we took installing single-user software on a server.

There's nothing dodgy about doing this as the software licensing will only allow a single user to actually run the software, but there's nothing to say it can't be installed on a server or shared folder so it can be accessed from different PC's. Also means you can back everything up at the same time.

Stefan
Old 29 July 2003, 11:59 AM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Thanks Steve, that would be fine if the users were a little more competent. I want to make it as seamless as possible.

I think I will try what Ozzy suggests though.

Cheers

Roger

[Edited by rogp - 7/29/2003 11:59:59 AM]
Old 29 July 2003, 12:45 PM
rogp
Scooby Regular

Smile

After all that, there is a facility to choose the location of the database on v6 of the software.

Sorted, but thanks to all for their input.

Roger