Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Asrock POST beeps - need help ASAP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 09:31 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Spoke to bl00dy soon

no sooner had I posted the above, than the machine reset itself and beeped 3 times at me continuously (3 long beeps)

Back to the drawing board

Any ideas?

Dan

[Edited by ScoobyDoo555 - 8/1/2003 9:34:04 PM]
Old 01 August 2003, 06:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Need some assistance ASAP please gurus.

got an Asrock K7S8X mobo that's beeping 3 times at me when I power up.

If it gets past the post, it gets past the XP Pro loadup screen and then resets itself.......

CPU is an Athlon XP2400 and is running and 41 degrees C.......

Can anybody tell me what these beeps mean? I think it might be my Hard Drive going kaput - but I'm gonna try and power up to the POST menu first just to see........

Answers/suggestions appreciated ASAP

Dan
Old 01 August 2003, 07:09 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Might help ......

AMI BIOS Beep Codes

1 Short Beep One beep is good! Everything is ok, that is if you see things on the screen. If you don't see anything, check your monitor and video card first. Is everything connected? If they seem fine, your motherboard has some bad chips on it. First reset the SIMM's and reboot. If it does the same thing, one of the memory chips on the motherboard are bad, and you most likely need to get another motherboard since these chips are soldered on.
2 Short Beeps Your computer has memory problems. First check video. If video is working, you'll see an error message. If not, you have a parity error in your first 64K of memory. First check your SIMM's. Reseat them and reboot. If this doesn't do it, the memory chips may be bad. You can try switching the first and second banks memory chips. First banks are the memory banks that your CPU finds its first 64K of base memory in. You'll need to consult your manual to see which bank is first. If all your memory tests good, you probably need to buy another motherboard.
3 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above.
4 Short Beeps Basically the same thing as 2 beeps. Follow that diagnosis above. It could also be a bad timer
5 Short Beeps Your motherboard is complaining. Try reseating the memory and rebooting. If that doesn't help, you should consider another motherboard. You could probably get away with just replacing the CPU, but that's not too cost-effective. Its just time to upgrade!
6 Short Beeps The chip on your motherboard that controls your keyboard (A20 gate) isn't working. First try another keyboard. If it doesn't help, reseat the chip that controls the keyboard, if it isn't soldered in. If it still beeps, replace the chip if possible. Replace the motherboard if it is soldered in.
7 Short Beeps Your CPU broke overnight. Its no good. Either replace the CPU, or buy another motherboard.
8 Short Beeps Your video card isn't working. Make sure it is seated well in the bus. If it still beeps, either the whole card is bad or the memory on it is. Best bet is to install another video card.
9 Short Beeps Your BIOS is bad. Reseat or Replace the BIOS.
10 Short Beeps Your problem lies deep inside the CMOS. All chips associated with the CMOS will likely have to be replaced. Your best bet is to get a new motherboard.
11 Short Beeps Your problem is in the Cache Memory chips on the motherboard. Reseat or Replace these chips.
1 Long, 3 Short Beeps You've probably just added memory to the motherboard since this is a conventional or extended memory failure. Generally this is caused by a memory chip that is not seated properly. Reseat the memory chips.
1 Long, 8 Short Beeps Display / retrace test failed. Reseat the video card.
Old 01 August 2003, 07:11 PM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

or here

http://www.computer-cursus.nl/ict_su...T%20Errors.pdf

Old 01 August 2003, 07:40 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thanks Dave

I think I might have sorted it - just taken off the heatsink to the CPU and there was hardly and conductive 'gloop' between the chip and heatsink......

Me thinks that it was running rather hot, as now it seems to be about 36-37 degrees......

Just booted it back up - did a new hardware build (stripped it and started from scratch!) and I think it's OK (well, it's on the XP desktop )

Gonna download an XP cpu temperature monitor and see what happens.....

How does this sound as a diagnosis?

Cheers,

Dan

Ps In case anybody was wondering, I'm on Scoobynet through my Apple Mac !!
Old 01 August 2003, 09:07 PM
jbryant
Scooby Regular

I've had my Athlon XP2500+ running at >60C without it complaining (though I was!!:eek) before I put extra cooling in the case. I think the rebuild you mention is probably the thing that's made the major difference.

Joolz
Old 01 August 2003, 09:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Just monitoring it at the moment - see what happens......

Watch this space

Dan
Old 01 August 2003, 10:13 PM
ChrisB

How many sticks of RAM do you have?
Old 01 August 2003, 11:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

1 stick chris.

1 x 256 Meg PC2700 ram....

why?

Dan
Old 01 August 2003, 11:35 PM
ChrisB

Sometimes it can be a flaky stick of RAM but your options to test are limited with one.

What PSU do you have? I known just changing a PSU for a good branded unit of the same power output make the difference between a crash-tastic PC and stable mable. The voltage on the cheaper PSUs can flutter with the 5v or 12v lines

I've seen Athlon CPUs die due to poor cooling, though that's the worse case really.
Old 02 August 2003, 09:29 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

morning all

Still no joy with the PC - changedthe Ram just in case, but still dead

My conclusions are:-

Grafix card has died
or
CPU has died
or
in the worst case, the mobo

Gonna check the card later - currently got an ATI 9700, but will try my old G-Force2 GTS Pro

I hope I get the same result, as the card is by far the most expensive bit to replace.....
I'm not sure whether it is the cpu, coz the temperatures have been about 37-42 degrees. Now with some people running up to 65 degrees , not sure whether it is....
The only reason I'm being swayed towards the cpu, is that when it first died, I was in the middle of a graphically intensive game , ever since, it hasn't been too happy......

Now, where the hell do I get a cpu on a Saturday, in the middle of nowhere (Herefordshire) - apart from PC World.....

Dan

PS ANY other ideas what it might be - all thoughts appreciated
Old 02 August 2003, 10:28 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Try running it at 100 rather than 133. I've had this issue with Asrock boards before, and it may be that it is unable to run at full speed. Slowing it down may be the answer, though you will probably want the mobo replaced it it won't work at full speed.
Old 02 August 2003, 11:11 AM
Mr Footlong
Scooby Regular

Ah, the joys os SIS-based motherboards once again. Hope you get it sorted.

Nick.
Old 02 August 2003, 06:37 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Well, I've tested the grafix card - it works fine! Thank God!

I *think* it's the cpu that gone kaput

However, the shimmer of light is that as the cpu is less than 2 months old, it might be covered under warrantee....

bit didgy, I know, same type of warrantee as RAM, ie, NONE , but has to be worth a go, oterwise it's time to cough up another £70-odd for a Athlon 2400XP........

is there any way to test the CPU?

Dan
Old 03 August 2003, 01:57 AM
***Gixxxer***
Scooby Regular

I had problems like that with asrock and ecs mobos, had a nightmare of a time with them, run them at full speed they would freeze, run poor, overheat, create allsorts of problems, in both cases it was all down to poor quality fans just not cooling cpu enough
Old 14 August 2003, 09:17 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thought you'd all like to know the outcome......

Checked RAM - OK
Checked G/Card - OK
CPU sent back to Overclockers.co.uk - turns out OK (had to pay £35 for the priviledge )
MOBO sent back to Novatech - board has an intermittant fault. Instantly replaced

Well done Novatech! (they even paid for collection )

PC should be back up and running early next week when the replacement board turns up

Dan