Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

ultra portable notebook

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2003, 03:38 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK just sold my monster laptop, great spec but weighed an absolute ton, now I want something ultra light and very portable rather than all out performance, anyone know what I should go for?

Cheers

Gary
Old 14 August 2003, 03:52 PM
JR55
Scooby Regular

The Tosh Portege R100 is as ultra portable as there is on the market at the moment, I think!
Old 14 August 2003, 03:55 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've got a libretto 100ct that I use for mp3 playback, light processing and general storage - it's about the size of a video cassette but now has a 30gb hard disc in it, which makes it ideal for dumping images from a digital camera onto . Limitations are a P266 processor (was 166, but takes a 266 overclock quite happily) and a 64MB limit on memory.

If you're paying more money than 150 quid on ebay , then I'd look seriously at the JVC mini note series, which is on its second generation. Small, light, powerful-ish (P3 933MHz, 256MB) with lots of built in goodies (Wireless LAN, USB 2.0, firewire...) and shedloads of battery: there's an internal battery, an included "strap on" and an optional further "strap on" which could give up to about 8 hours of real use.

The other option is the Sony U1 (now available second hand) or the new sony U101. These things are small but perfectly formed... Import only though - http://conics.net/

Finally, how about the Fujitsu P series? There's a lovely model with DVD-ROM drive that was being bunged out for about 600 quid... Widescreen TFT too... And small... By the time I could afford one, I couldn't find one.

Hope this helps.

Nick.
Old 14 August 2003, 05:11 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

how about a tablet PC?

Or I use an HP Evo N410c which is light and powerful.

regards,

Greg