Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

How can I restart my pc with the original settings?

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2003, 08:37 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have the CD then you can set the bios to boot from it. It might already be set to do so, you will know if you put the CD into the drive and start the PC you will get a screen saying push any key to start xp install. If not press the esc key or f2 or whatever gets you into your bios setup. You will have an option there to choose what to boot from. Usually its CD, Floppy or HDD ( hard disk ). Once you set it to CD try again.

If all goes well you will get a blue screen saying XP is loading files, you are asked to agree to M$ crap by pressing F8 and finally you will get an option to repair or reinstall.

BE WARNED : You can delete EVERYTHING off your Hard Drive from here.

If you are CERTAIN you have everything backed up off the hard disk then choose new install. Now you should get the option to choose the partition. Here you can delete the one you have, create a new one etc. Then you will be prompted to choose the partition to install XP on. after this you will be prompted to format the disk. If you are REALLY sure you have everything you need then format. Quick or normal doesnt matter but NTFS is a better choice for its security options. The rest of it is pretty self explanatory but make sure you have the CD key somewhere handy as you will be asked for it.

Good luck

Edit to say that this assumes you got the XP Cd when you bought the PC. If not then I suggest you go to where you bought the PC and complain very loudly as you would have paid the licence fee to own it.

[Edited by swaussie - 11/4/2003 8:45:10 PM]
Old 04 November 2003, 08:17 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Talking

My pc full of crap & I want to get rid and start again, I've saved everything I want off my pc, it was pre loaded with windows xp home, and the only thing I can find is a red recovery floppy disc? tried to run it but it doesnt do anything in the drive,
What can I do, I think I might have to dig out the instructions.
Old 04 November 2003, 10:33 PM
taffyterzo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks mate, all done now cheers