Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Petition: Make Xbox2 backwards compatible

Search this Thread

Old 10 November 2003, 10:25 PM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Microsoft Xbox Hardware Development (www.xbox.com) has yet to decide if they are going to make the Xbox2 backwards compatible with existing Xbox games for the Xbox(1), this petition is a request to Microsoft to make the next Xbox play the Xbox games of today. We urge you, existing and future Xbox owners, please sign this petition, hopefully Microsoft will listen and hear the public demand and make the Xbox2 backwards compatible
More Info/Sign Petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition.html

Bit of a no-brainer if you ask me
Old 10 November 2003, 10:50 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

Xbox2. Iv only had my xbox for a few weeks.
Old 11 November 2003, 09:39 AM
Bumpster
Scooby Regular

Angry

WTF! what reason would they have NOT to make it backwards compatible? As it's based on PC architecture surely it'll be easier to make them backwards compatible than not?
Old 11 November 2003, 02:56 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I would imagine that they would want to make a completely new architecture that will stop the hackers for a while.

Steve.
Old 13 November 2003, 07:49 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I'd heard that the XBox 2 is going to be based around a Power PC architecture instead of an x86 one. If that's the case, then they would need a second processor for backward compatability, or to emulate the x86 through software.

Like Steve says, I think they are going to use this as an opportunity to make hacking/conversion to a cheap PC a little more difficult. I'm sure someone will get around it eventually, whatever happens.

Den
Old 13 November 2003, 09:31 PM
class_A
Scooby Regular

Firstly, they have an agreement with IBM for processor technology. This does not necessarily mean they'll move to PowerPC. They could simply be planning to use IBM to fab either the CPU or the ATI designed GPU.

PowerPC is IBM's baby, although they are working on Cell with Sony and Toshiba for the next generation PlayStation. The Gamecube CPU is a modified PowerPC 750.

Unlike the current nVidia deal, ATI won't be producing any chips. They'll simply be providing a design and taking a royalty payment.

The latest rumour is that MS are currently designing (or modding an existing design) in house for production by a contractor.

Simply moving architecture would not remove the opportunity to turn Xbox Next into a cheap general purpose computer. If the security is still as weak, it will be cracked and software will be ported/written.

Finally, I'd be wary of signing any online petition. Firstly, MS isn't likely to pay any attention and secondly, you're providing someone with a nice list of valid email addresses they can send "marketing" to
Old 13 November 2003, 10:03 PM
Dirty_Den
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The IBM representative acknowledged that Microsoft is looking at the company's PowerPC technology, the underlying architecture behind the chips in Apple computers.
Full story here:
http://www.dvd-recordable.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 943&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Den
Old 14 November 2003, 09:07 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

I'm well aware of the hardware agreements and proposed architecture but I think this is far simpler than that. This is grass roots stuff.

Microsoft used X-Box as a tool to get into the console market and attempt to grab as large a market share as possbible ready for the next generation of consoles where they will be able to get a head start and make their next console a real contender. They knew X-Box wasn't going to top the sales charts.

One of the deciding factors in the sucess of Sonys PS2 was the fact that its, already huge, existant band of loyal followers could still use their old software on the new machine. This makes the decision of which console to buy next a simple one for the vast majority IMO. Microsfts decision, architecture driven or not, to ignore this could leave them flagging in the sales statics next time around . . . which is something they *will not* be happy with doing. Just my 2p . . . but of course, Microsoft know best
Old 14 November 2003, 09:28 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

The ability to turn the xbox into a cheap pc doing other useful stuff (MP3s ect) is the sole reason many people I know have bought one. A large number have never had a game played on them.

I've never undertsood why MS havent grapsed the potential and released official S/W for it. They could clean up in the "Home entertainment center" with a backwards compatible next gen box.

Deano
Old 14 November 2003, 09:40 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...
If they don't they'll be in trouble - It'll be like trying to develop a new market base. One of the biggest appeals of PlayStation2 was that it was backwards compatible, and Sony have said that PS3 will also be backwards compatible (but only with PS2 games). It'll be like trying to construct a totally new fan base, they may as well remove the Xbox name from the new console...
Old 14 November 2003, 09:48 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

messiah - My thoughts exactly.

deano - That will be the other big selling point of the nexgen consoles for sure. It should be more than just a games console, it should be an total entertainment/communication centre. Essential features will need to be ability to watch movies, play audio, record live TV, send receive email, use the internet & view images. I can see no reason why they couldn't accomodate digibox technology too. Get the 'PC' out of the office and into the living room (applies to non-geeks only ). Not much different to the modded X-Boxes now.

Having said that, we will always want more and will modify it to give us more.

[Edited by DJ Dunk - 11/14/2003 9:51:06 AM]