Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

GNER wireless internet

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2003, 07:16 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Question

Heard about this in the news today.

From what I heard the signal is broadcast from trackside masts or cables(not too clued up on all this), and the train has receivers in it to pick up the signal.

Could people living near the track get some sort of receiver and perhaps receive free internet service?

Don't flame me on this, I'm no computer expert, just curious
Old 03 December 2003, 11:21 AM
ChrisB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nope!

"Access may be free of charge, but the trial is limited to a mere 42 trips in total, operating Monday to Friday through this week and the following two. Access is also restricted to holders of First Class rail tickets. Only a single carriage on each train contains an access point, so participants should reserve a seat in that coach, GNER suggests.

GNER's system connects the access point to a satellite-based broadband link. A series of four to six mobile phone links are maintained throughout the journey as back-up and to ensure continuity of service when the train passes through tunnels under station roofs."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/34298.html