Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Email !!HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 10:20 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for some reason unknown to me , i can nop longer send any email, but i can recieve it fine.. my hotmail account wont send anything and my freeserve account is the same.. I've done a full virus check with nothing showing and the message i get from my freeserve account is this ;

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'philthegrip@lineone.net'. Subject 'test', Account: 'Phil's Freeserve', Server: 'smtp.freeserve.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Administrative prohibition', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

any ideas anyone ???

the "philthegrip" addy is one i just set up to test if i could send messages from the one in my profile..

any help appreciated

Phil

Edited to say I'm using XP pro and outlook express

[Edited by MadGrip - 12/3/2003 10:23:24 AM]
Old 03 December 2003, 11:07 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Check the name of the outgoing (SMTP) server against the email account you are trying to send with.

The error code 550 usually indicates that you are trying to send mail via a third parties outgoing server. In the majority of cases, relaying is not permitted and you can only send mail through the SMTP server that the email address you are using belongs to. (For example, you cannot send mail from an NTL email address using a BTOpenworld server.)

This is in an attempt to prevent spammers using someone elses servers to avoid detection.
Old 03 December 2003, 11:17 AM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

Thanks for replying,the account i use most is pop3.freeserve.com so i thought the outgoing should be smtp.freeserve.com this is how its set up..

my isp is BT openworld if that helps

Phil
Old 03 December 2003, 12:30 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

sorry, misled you a little earlier. What i should have said was you cannot send through one ISPs mail server whilst connected to a different ISP. That will be your problem - you are trying to send using Freeserves outgoing server while connected to BTOpenworld.

Depending on how BTO authenticate, you might be able to simply change the outgoing server to mail.btopenworld.com (This definitely used to work on BT Internet, which AFAIK are the same servers, so logic says it should work for you)

Leave the email address and the incoming pop3 server as they are now.

Old 03 December 2003, 01:32 PM
MadGrip
Scooby Regular

cheers mate.. worked a treat

Phil