Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Analogue to Digital Video convertor.....

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2003, 03:29 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy an external A2D video convertor box with the ultimate aim of converting VCR tapes into DVD's. As far as I can see the Adaptec VideOh! USB 2.0 seems about the best value/quality?

Has anyone used this kit, or recommend alternatives (I don't need the Sonic MyDVD software that comes with it, as my DVD burner also came with a copy)?

I also note that Adaptec recently released a version with an inbuilt TV tuner to provide a personal VCR - is this worth the extra 50 bucks?

Thanks, Richard
Old 29 December 2003, 03:41 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

i could do with puttin some vhs's onto dvd. whats the best/easiest/cheapest way of doing it?
Old 29 December 2003, 05:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

There are two ways to do this. First: Hauppauge PVR 250/350; they both use the same MPEG encoder chip. This enables you to capture from an analogue source, full frame and compress it in real time. Second; DVD+RW video recorder, by the time you're done its probably cheaper than the Hauppage card and a DVD writer, it's certainly much easier. If you insist on using your PC or if you have a DVD writer already then remember that you will only be able to capture and compress full frame images in real time by using a hardware solution; if the card that you buy does not have an integrated MPEG encoder chip then it wont do what you want. -Btw; I'm doing this myself at the moment, I have a PVR 250, but I'm using a Philips 980 DVR because it's so easy.-
Old 29 December 2003, 05:54 PM
Hobo_Jojo
Scooby Regular

how much are the cards? i already have a dvd burner.
Old 29 December 2003, 06:31 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks GC8,

Yep - I have the DVD burner hardware already, so want to use a PC based solution.

Convertor has to be offboard; I was just concerned about what codec this external device would be running, and the quality of it. The Adaptec does MPEG-2 - I assume this can provide a good quality source (or...at least as good as the original video)? And can USB 2 provide the required throughput without issues?

How much is the Haupage, and what codec is it using? Is it PCI or AGP? What speed?

Richard
Old 29 December 2003, 06:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Richard, the Hauppauge PVR costs about GB£80 but it doesn't use a codec as such. It has an MPEG2 encoder in hardware, that's why it is able to capture full frame analogue video in real time, a simple capture card would have to use a software codec and would struggle to capture at a low resolution in real time. I hadn't read your post correctly before I answered you; the Hauppauge isn't the only option but it's the best that I've seen, it's a PCI card btw. Any solution that has an MPEG2 encoder in hardware should work, the Hauppauge was certainly better than the Pinnacle kit that I have seen.

Simon
Old 30 December 2003, 06:59 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Simon,

Think I'm going to give the Adaptec a try (also hardware MPEG-2), but with a USB 2 connection (faster than PCI?).

Richard
Old 30 December 2003, 09:10 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

I use the Leadtek Winfast 2000 Deluxe XP. Huge name, but great card

One costs about £60 now I think. Most PCI cards will struggle to write straight to a Divx file at DVD res, but it does Mpeg2 no probs, so you can convert afterwards.