Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

If you have musical kids...

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2004, 09:59 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you have musical kids...

...or are musical yourself. You HAVE to own GarageBand software from Apple. Its the best laugh I've have in ages, really easy to use and the output quality is stunning. I can't believe I just made my own tune Not very good like, but I made it. I've messed around with eJay and all that malarky before but its nothing like GarageBand.

Like i said, if your kids are aspiring musicians you should get a copy of this software. They can even input their own music and alter it every which way.

Big thumbs up
Old 03 February 2004, 10:53 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

OK, here's what I made:

guitar song

Dance Beat

Don't Laugh
Old 03 February 2004, 10:57 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I just use Emagic's Logic Platinum with my studio - when my daughter wants to play, she can use my full size keys on my keyboards

However, I'm sure it will have its place in the home just not in mine

Dan

PS - good effort with the choons btw
Old 04 February 2004, 08:29 AM
DJ Dunk
Support Scoobynet!

Dan you show off
Old 04 February 2004, 09:17 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Old 04 February 2004, 12:37 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

an,

Im looking forward to receiving it but must say Im not convinvced it wont suffer the same fate as ejay, i.e. its ease of use is a double edged sword in that yes you can knock up great tunes very easily but they soon start to sound very samey. Still just got myself an m-audio ozone controller keyboard which I can use as a pre-amp for my guitar too into the powerbook so the amp effects alone will be worth the money.

Keep them tunes a-coming!

cheers

Gary
Old 04 February 2004, 12:56 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Gary,

I was worried about the tunes being similar, but it on top of eJay type loops you have individual notes and chords in different kinds of instruments, so you can write your own melodies. You can delete individual sounds or notes from loops, shorten, lengthen adjust pitch etc. I was well amazed last night. For 40 quid you can't go wrong.

I can't wait to get home and have another go, been out and invested in a USB keyboard and midi controller.

Scooby, I wouldn't mind a copy of that logic platinum but its a bit more expensive. Also I am "a total amateur" when it comes to digital music so maybe I'll move onto that when I'm a bit more advanced in the field. My mate is a pro music producer and he's always jibbering on about Reason or something, one day, I'll have a clue
Old 04 February 2004, 04:07 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Cool

Reason is an absolutely awesome program, (I had a play with it a few weeks ago). Basically it's a very clever piece of software which emulates various synthesizers, drum machines, samplers etc. It lets you wire all the bits together (it even shows the wires) and has a sequencer so you can invoke the various modules and create music with it.

You do need to know what you are doing however, and have a reasonable amount of musical talent to get anything decent out of it, (much like if you were using the hardware synths).

I just wish I could justify the price as it's great bit of software, and would be great fun just to play with.

(Edited because I can't spell)

Last edited by Iain Young; 04 February 2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04 February 2004, 04:19 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Andy,

You can buy something called 'hit kit' which contains a microphone and a copy of logic express which is a cut down version of logic for about £25 (and can be had on ebay even cheaper) if you specifically wanted logic. You could also get hold of a copy computer music magazine which has plenty of mac stuff on the CD which comes with it. Another cool sequencer and an os x version has just been released is Traktion.

Yes reason is awesome if a little daunting, I use something called Storm which is similar but not so overwhelming and like reason is x-platform

cheers

Gary