Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Plaese Help! Slow B/Band connection

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 10:06 AM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Plaese Help! Slow B/Band connection

Hi there! Please help me out !!
I have the Tiscali Broadband 150K package which up to last week was running fine.
For the last few days it has been running incredibly sloooow – checking download speeds its running at best 58Kbps (at various times of the daytime) but is usually around the 3Kbps mark and virtually unuseable!!!!

I have contacted both Tiscali and BT.
BT have increased the gain on the line but this hasn’t helped.
Tiscali haven’t done much other than direct me to re install the modem, which has been done.

In addition I’ve proved my extensions and phones in the house by going straight out of the BT socket and I’ve even installed the modem and connection on another pc at my house to prove my pc and it is the same slow connection.

So what I really need to Know is - Who is at fault and Why? Is it BT or Tiscali? Who do I need to put pressure on to resolve this?
In addition the Tiscali Tech helpline has been unreachable since last Thursday !!!! Anyone got any UK customer service contact details for them?

Please help !!!!
Thanks in advance for any advice any of you have - I'll check this post in work later, Carl.
Old 18 February 2004, 12:11 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Have you checked that you've not go something dodgy running in the background on your puter that you're unaware of? ie. virus, file sharing app, etc ?

J
Old 18 February 2004, 02:42 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Cheers Judge, How can I do a quick check, or is there any downloadable software on the net?
Thought I'd discounted this one as the second pc I used (with same slow connection) was new and had never been on the net to pick up dodgy files !!

Any more advice please ?
Old 18 February 2004, 02:49 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Probably the easiest method is dont browse/do anything on the net, open the stats window for the modem (either a web interface or just the connection properties info in windows if its usb) and see if there is any data going over your link.

Also try running netstat from a new command window (start->run cmd or start->run command if you on < win2k) This will show all the start/end points for open connection on that machine. If you want, post the output up here and I'll take a look but there will be a few open, msgr.hotmail.com if you runn MS im etc). Try this on all machine connected to the web.

hth

J
Old 18 February 2004, 03:06 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Hi Carl,

Further update:

I've found this and this

Which leads me to believe you wont find anything wrong on your computer. Best bet is to email Craig Mckay at Tiscali on bbspeed@tiscali.co.uk as he's been posting to adsl guide about following up people speed issues.

hth

J

Last edited by judgejules; 18 February 2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 18 February 2004, 03:35 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Judge,
Doesn’t look like there is any data activity going on while I’m online but not browsing.

Strange things happening with the netstat thing though – once the window opens up it shuts down after a few seconds or almost straight away ???
Old 18 February 2004, 03:50 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

you have to type cmd into the run dialog box first, and press enter. This opens a dos screen and then type netstat.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:27 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Ha! Thanks swaussie - you realise now that I'm no expert here !!

Checked netstat and everything looks OK - only IP's of what im looking at - Scoobynet!

Ref JJ's further update post, thanks for looking around - the zdnet site is where tiscali send you to test your speed and I had read that - im sure it has to be down to them.

I’ve just got off the phone with their tech line and they say they will monitor the speed of my connection and possibly change some priorities?? If that fails I’ll email the guy at tiscali - thanks for that - the tech line is nightmare to get through to!

Thanks for both of your help, Carl.
Old 18 February 2004, 04:43 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

no worries mate, hope you get it all sorted out. If I am correct you will also find at peak times of the day things will slow down due to the fact you are probably sharing your connection with 50 other users. I find mine gets slower early evenings when I guess most people are using the internet. Good luck though with getting a bit of decent bandwidth.
Old 18 February 2004, 06:07 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your problem might just mysteriously clear up all by itself....

If it's any help I had a slow connection on my cable broadband for a few days and the local support guys tried everything but it made almost no difference. After about 3 hours on the phone (they called back) resetting and reinstalling routers, firewalls and changing every setton on both of my PCs - they said that an engineer would be calling 10 days later, which was the earliest possible slot.

This was on Monday and lo and behold the connection was back to regular speed (1Mbps) yesterday without any intervention on my end. Not even a reboot. I'll wait until the day before the engineer is due before cancelling the call though just to be on the safe side!

Good luck with your problem anyway

Suresh
Old 18 February 2004, 06:25 PM
carl555
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Its looking like I can blame the ISP on this one - I'll be putting more pressure on them to sort it out.
Now - nobody else go out and get tiscali - I dont want to be sharing my bandwidth with any more people !!!
Cheers, Carl.