Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Broadband Connection Problem

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2004, 11:26 AM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broadband Connection Problem

We have BT Broadband in the office, coming in thtough 1 wall socket and 3 machines all requiring internet access. We use a router for 2 of them but the other needs a direct connection through its own modem, ie not through a router. I have tried plugging both router and modem into the same socket via a socket doubler and ADSL filter obviously, but it doesn't work. Does anyone know if we could add another socket and run both modems or will a broadband connection only support 1 modem at a time.

Any Ideas

Les H
Old 18 February 2004, 12:07 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Hi Les,

I'm asuming you're saying here that pc a+b are connected to broadband using a broadband router+modem and pc c is wanting to connect to broadband using just a broadband modem?

If I have read this right, then you're trying to run two broadband modems off the single link? If this is the case, that wont be possible.

Is there any particular reason pc c needs its own direct connection, maybe if you let us know why you think this is the case, maybe we can suggest an alternative solution?

J
Old 18 February 2004, 12:22 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by judgejules
Hi Les,

I'm asuming you're saying here that pc a+b are connected to broadband using a broadband router+modem and pc c is wanting to connect to broadband using just a broadband modem?

If I have read this right, then you're trying to run two broadband modems off the single link? If this is the case, that wont be possible.

Is there any particular reason pc c needs its own direct connection, maybe if you let us know why you think this is the case, maybe we can suggest an alternative solution?

J
Jules
You are absolutely correct about how we have things connected. We need to run the 1 machine with its own connection because it acts as a Webcam/CCTV server that has to be accessed remotely. We could not access this machine when it was connected via the router and so are looking at simpler alternatives. I actually think that its a configuration issue with the router/Netrwork, but the problem is that we do not have the technical knowledge here to sort it. Its probably a network issue and I simply cannot get my head around networking and the configuration that goes with it, hence looking to simply plug in 2 modems.
Would it help if we had a second extension socket installed

Les
Old 18 February 2004, 02:53 PM
judgejules
Scooby Regular

Hi Les,

The 2nd extention idea wont work as both modems will be trying to connect down the core line to the exchange using the same signal range on the line so will have some major probs.

Probably the best bet is to find out if your router/modem supports port forwarding.

If you let me know what make/model you have I'll see if I can find some docs on it.

J