Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Wireless network card problem

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2004, 11:21 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless network card problem

Hi,

Im no networking expert, far from it, just got another PC in the office, installed Win2k and slapped in a netgear wg311 wireless pci network card. Now the software that comes with it shows that it detects the us robotics wireless router but for some reason it cannot get an IP address (set to dynamic) and lan connection just says cable unplugged. Its a clean install so havent ****ed around with any settings.

Did the same a couple of weeks back on another machine and it just worked! Very frustrating

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 February 2004, 02:38 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Have you got any other network cards in the machine?
Originally Posted by GaryK
Hi,

Im no networking expert, far from it, just got another PC in the office, installed Win2k and slapped in a netgear wg311 wireless pci network card. Now the software that comes with it shows that it detects the us robotics wireless router but for some reason it cannot get an IP address (set to dynamic) and lan connection just says cable unplugged. Its a clean install so havent ****ed around with any settings.

Did the same a couple of weeks back on another machine and it just worked! Very frustrating

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 February 2004, 05:45 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Are you running WEP encryption on the router?

Have you tried using a static IP?

Hi,

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Gary
Old 19 February 2004, 06:01 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

rr,

yes tried both, been onto netgear (whose support is $hite), given the old download the latest drivers fob-off which when I did f**ked my win2k install, had to boot into safe mode and then remove drivers.

Decided its going back tomorrow, gonna try a belkin or d-link instead.

cheers

gary
Old 19 February 2004, 06:10 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

I would avoid 'crappy' belkin & avoid D-Link because I am aware they have problems with USR products

Why don't you stick with a USR client card?

If you don't want USR, then Linksys is your best bet for a different vendor. But when you cross vendor you always run the risk of compatibility problems.

rr,

yes tried both, been onto netgear (whose support is $hite), given the old download the latest drivers fob-off which when I did f**ked my win2k install, had to boot into safe mode and then remove drivers.

Decided its going back tomorrow, gonna try a belkin or d-link instead.

cheers

gary

Last edited by RoadrunnerV2; 19 February 2004 at 06:12 PM.
Old 20 February 2004, 06:20 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

I'm no Network expert either but I have just been through the process of getting my home wireless network going.

Even though I'm using Linksys, I'm guessing that some rules still apply like all computers need to be on the same SSID as the gateway or router/server? Some router are programmed for security not to broadcast this so you might have to look at the gateway setup to get the name?

WEP is pointless, just configure the server only to allow certain MAC addresses (I think MAC addresses are a unique serial no. of the network card).

Keep trying, but I know it f***ing frustrating.
Andy
Old 20 February 2004, 06:31 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Doh! Just realised after reading scoobs post......... has the MAC Address ACL being configured on the router?

Scoobts - MAC Address isn't that secure. You can easily obtain & replicate the MAC address of the wireless clients. Non-Broadcast SSID is pants too Personally I would rather run WEP than just using MAC ACL/Non-SSID Broadcast
Old 20 February 2004, 06:35 PM
Scoobs_4ever
Scooby Regular

Roadrunner, you're probably right but all the stuff I've seen on WEP says that its such a basic algorithm that creates the encryption that anyone clever enough to be looking to hijack a wirelss network knows how to crack the WEP.

I've switched the WEP off on mine to try and keep the Xbox link working as the comms seems faster without WEP enabled. The Xbox info isn't that sensitive either.

However, Linksys do recommend using WEP.
Old 20 February 2004, 06:50 PM
RoadrunnerV2
Scooby Regular

Scoobs

Last time I checked you need to obtain a certain amount of data to crack the WEP key. The higher the key the more data you need to capture for the cracking software to guess the key. With home networks, as they would hardly have any data following across the WLAN, it would take a hacker some time to crack. Also I would become suspicious of a person sitting outside my house especially if had a laptop

If you are not going to run WEP then I suggest you consider running software firewalls on your computers with them having controlled access to your WLAN i.e only allow them to communicate to certain private IP's on your WLAN/LAN
Old 20 February 2004, 07:51 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

had the same issue, turned out it was the config util wasn't creating the correct HEX key for the WEP, went here and manually entered it and worked straight away.

http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfoli...kg.html#custom