Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone know about setting up a LAN?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2004, 10:42 PM
FR05T1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone know about setting up a LAN?

I want to set up a Local Area Network for a small business need, I want to connect a Laptop using XP, a printer and an older PC running Windows 98 together. Can I do this by using a simple USB hub and leads to all 3 devices or will I need something more technical?
Also the Win 98 PC will have to have a USB card fitted for this option. Will there be any inter-operability problems?
Another option is to change the older PC to a new one running XP too.
Any usefull advice appreciated. . .
Old 22 February 2004, 11:10 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

few questions..

have all the machines got 10/100 lan connections??..
will you be sharing an internet connection??

If so use the xp machine as the server, create a workgroup, install ms networking on the 98 unit, logon to the xp machine, will need to setup a local user account, just use the default guest account & set a password.. pretty easy stuff really, enable internet connection sharing on your xp machine & point the 98 machinesn ip address gateway to the xp bo, default is 192.168.0.1, add your printer on the xp machine, enter a share name done, check permissions and enable sharing to the guest account as well (default is everyone I think but check anyway!)..

Open up a browser on your 98 box, type in: \\192.168.0.1 right click on the printer & connect, the printer will then install.

Check your web browser to connect through a lan connection, uncheck autodetect in advanced..

That should do it for internet/printer/network drives etc..

If you just want to share a printer though, buy a usb card for your 98 machine & a usb hub, whack em all together & done..

hope that helps??

Old 23 February 2004, 08:10 PM
FR05T1
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Many Thanks for the info. I think I follow the first part it.
It might be arequirement to share an internet connection though I may have a problem with the first option as the laptop will be out of the office some of the time.
Seems like the 2nd option will be the easiest/cheapest for what we want, Thanks again . . .