Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Internet and email usage

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2004, 02:38 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internet and email usage

I reckon I've asked this before but I can't find anything. Anyway, the powers that be are wanting to look at yesterday's email and web activity with a view to producing a slightly more rigorous acceptable usage policy.

What's the legality of this? Do they have to inform the employees they are doing this monitoring? Anyone know where I can find some official guidance?

And far more importantly who's **** is in a sling if someone kicks up a fuss? Me for doing the monitoring or the Directors for telling me to?

Very
Mark
Old 24 February 2004, 02:44 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Surely the company can do what they like it is after all their equipment and their time it is being used in. They are afterall paying you to do a job and not surf scoobynet and send email to yor mates like I do . There are far to many namby pambies out there complaining that the company wants to monitor internet use. AFAIAC they can monitor what they like, if you have nothing to hide then what is the problem.
Old 24 February 2004, 02:52 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Acceptable Use Guidelines. That may give you a start.

Doug
Old 24 February 2004, 02:59 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

Wurzel

I take your point but there's the little matter of the EU Human Rights Act to take into consideration.

Doug

Thanks. A good start

Mark
Old 24 February 2004, 04:09 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Make it simple then

No non-related work usage of Internet

No use of company email system for private emails

I always told new employees that all internet useage was monitored, as was all email + phonecalls were recorded/monitored (different reason but this was a by-product). With the internet do or go where you liked but no games, **** or downloads and with emails no attachments over 50k without permission. Over "use" of either system could result in disciplinary action - ie taking the P. ****-ups as a result of spending too much time surfing & not paying attention were not looked on in a good light! A reasonable balance soon came through & the worst offenders had access blocked altogether, except certain sites.

Abuse of phone was the worst, with telephonists finding it hard to understand that a 30min private phonecall during a busy period was not what they were paid to do, plus putting more pressure on the other team members
Old 24 February 2004, 04:10 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Mark I think people are playingthe human rights card way to much these days which is why the country is going to rat****. If nosy busybodies kept their noses out and let companies run themselves then employees whould know exactly where they stand from the day they sign their contract.

Just my opinion

Steve