Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Transferring Videos to DVD

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 05:06 PM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transferring Videos to DVD

This subject has probably been covered to the nth degree, but search did not uncover anything.

Now that I've got a shiny new iMac with DVD burner, I'm thinking of transferring my video collection onto DVDs.

What hardware/software do I need, bearing in mind it hardware needs to be external connected via USB or Firewire? Are there different formats/specs to watch out for or anything to avoid?

Also, what's the difference between -R and +R.? Is one better than the other? Will either type play in a normal DVD player?

Cheers
Old 26 April 2004, 11:51 AM
Fig
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't believe that no one has done this
Old 26 April 2004, 11:57 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know the techie differences between the DVD formats, but I've been told that -R is about 90% compatible with standalone players whereas +R is around 75%.

Haven't put any video on DVD yet, but I've used Pinnacle Studio on my PC (don't know about Mac software). Basically a digital video will be captured in AVI format and for 60min tape, it'll be around 15-20GB of data. You obviously can't write that straight to a DVD, so it needs to be converted - probably into some MPEG format.

You can use video editing software to add sountrack, voice overs and create a menu system for replaying your collection.

There's loads of this stuff on the net. I'd recommened the DV Forums

Stefan