Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Anyone Campaigning For Broadband?

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2004, 08:14 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Anyone Campaigning For Broadband?

Bit concerned here. I have registered on behalf of 4 people who have said that they want Broadband in my area. It would "seem" that all that has happened is that they have become "duplicates"

I have been using http://www.bt.com/btbroadband/regist...ster_intro.jsp to register them.

All registrations seem to go through OK

I and another bloke did a dr-dr around about 1/4 of the area for our campaign and obtained 120+ people interested (350 target) but before I put them all in, I want to make sure that I'm not just wasting my time.

We did not obtain email addresses for everyone because on a Saturday door knocking episode, not everyone remembers them + those that would get on the internet if broadband was available.

Anyone any thoughts? There is a cookie & I have now deleted it. Is that stopping me?
Old 25 April 2004, 09:21 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I haven't checked but it's almost certain that they'd put some sort of check in place to ensure one registration per machine. Is there no way you can call them with your list.
Old 25 April 2004, 09:25 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

james goto www.samknows.com and use his bulk entry or enter them through eclipse isp (can't rember url).

go register at www.bt.com/broadband (click camapings top left) and "start" a campaign. this will get you access to the BT campaign forum bit like scooby net but without the tossers
Old 25 April 2004, 09:26 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

oh and you cannot use the bt one to do bulk entry as it detects ya ip and thinks you are a dodgy git

(straight up)
Old 25 April 2004, 10:05 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

I was one of the first to ran a campaign to get Broadband. I actually managed to get it eventually in my town (www.getedenbridgebroadband.co.uk) after several articles in the paper and wandering aimlessly around delivering leaflets by hand.

Have a look at bbs.adslguide.org.uk, there is a whole forum dedicated to it.

Steve.
Old 25 April 2004, 10:55 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Puff - Call BT - Our trigger level was 350 last year - BT had 250 interested parties - I got a load of flyers printed (in work of course ) and got 5 other people in the area to do the same. We did a 1 evening straw poll and got about another 250 people who said they might be interested. I spoke to BT who agreed that without email addys each person could not be registered, but they did carry out a telemarketing campaign about a week later and then upgraded the exchange about a month after that
Old 26 April 2004, 12:07 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Jonesy

Sure its on the IP addy? I get 1 cookie on accessing the site & another (update) on registration.

I have been deleting the cookie after registration and starting again.

I will, if necessary, do the above and change anonymous proxy server each time I register someone

I am really PI$$ED that I cannot submit 128 GENUINE registrations that the campaign organiser and I have spent 7 hours canvassing. People that are interested/keen in taking up Broadband when our exchange becomes enabled. If we covered even a 1/4 of the area and received 125 people willing to see BB come to our exchange, then there will be at least 4 times that taking it up when it does, far in excess of the trigger level required. Oh & those interested parties are the ones that were actually IN when we came knocking and bearing in mind it was a hot saturday...

I can't use samknows as we did not obtain email addresses for everyone and that site requires email addys.

Not every person remembers their email addy on the doorstep & sometimes the person answering is not the person with the computer (they want it but are out).

FB - how do I get in contact with whomsoever you spoke to? Or their department?

bt.com/broadband does not require an email addy

Trending Topics

Old 26 April 2004, 10:11 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

james - send sam a email explaining you quest. the email is NOT required by BT to register the person.
Old 26 April 2004, 01:05 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Puff - I started with customer services (150) and got transferred about 17 times. I have no idea if they carried out the telemarketing because of what we told them or if it had already be planned, but it is worth a try
Old 26 April 2004, 05:48 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking

One of my colleagues has 'fooled' the BT Openworld site over the last 2 weeks by going thru the phone book of his local village (which had no feckin way of getting broadband legitamately) and banged in about 60+ names & addresses & phone numbers - and the BT Openworld website took the feckin lot and the thermometer moved up accordingly! - it did take him a while at a few an hour but their exchange is now on the list of 'ready' sites & waiting for a date to be enabled! (it only needed 100 and had stalled for months at 55)

He did it at work and we are behind a socks firewall so dunno if this made any difference but it deffo worked!

(it does seem an obvious con though! The cheeky ****** even used BT's online phone book to search for random names in his village - eg Smith, Jones, Taylor etc etc LOL)
Old 26 April 2004, 05:54 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Thanks all for support

125 new registrations today

61% only another 140 odd needed

Eventually registered through www.samknows.com and his bulk site which doesn't require an email addy after all or it can all be the same one.
Old 26 April 2004, 07:57 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

sam is the don